Roots extraction

I had a tooth that fell out because of decay. The roots are still remaining inside the gums. What is the procedure to remove the roots?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

It depends. If the roots are clearly visible, they can be split and elevated out quite easily. If you leave it for long, there will be gum tissue growing over the roots and then the removal process might require a more surgical approach, involving cutting of the gingiva as well as sutures. It is best to see a dentist as soon as possible, since these roots might also be an infection risk.

Vote:
I recently had a tooth removed that had decayed so bad the top of it finally broke off. The dentist literally had to dig for an hour to remove a root that was so small it reminded me of a needle in a haystack. Apparently the roots were growing apart as opposed to meeting together at the tips as well which created a issue to remove. Took a x ray after to make sure it was out.

Vote:

Ask a Question