Is surgery my only option? Pictures included

30y.o. Female. I went through 2 phases, an expander and top set of braces in elementary and then full set with rubber bands 8-10th grade. My orthodontist also had two top teeth removed… fast forward to today and my mouth, face and side profile are killing me. I can’t ever find a comfortable place to rest my mouth closed. My top and bottom teeth don’t sit together well. I have a gummy smile, and my chin is recessed causing terrible self confidence issues.
I’ve received a couple consults and both told me my only option is double jaw surgery. The one mentioned, closing the overjet/openbite would cause my gummy smile to only be more prominent.

My wish list for improvement is: improved side profile(chin protrusion), less gum when smiling, jaw/teeth sit comfortably together, and I would also like to noticeably widen the smile.

Please tell me there are options other than surgery. I’d love to hear recommendations even if not all can be addressed.

IMG_2371.jpeg
IMG_2371.jpeg

Vote:
30y.o. Female. I went through 2 phases, an expander and top set of braces in elementary and then full set with rubber bands 8-10th grade. My orthodontist also had two top teeth removed… fast forward to today and my mouth, face and side profile are killing me. I can’t ever find a comfortable place to rest my mouth closed. My top and bottom teeth don’t sit together well. I have a gummy smile, and my chin is recessed causing terrible self confidence issues.
I’ve received a couple consults and both told me my only option is double jaw surgery. The one mentioned, closing the overjet/openbite would cause my gummy smile to only be more prominent.

My wish list for improvement is: improved side profile(chin protrusion), less gum when smiling, jaw/teeth sit comfortably together, and I would also like to noticeably widen the smile.

Please tell me there are options other than surgery. I’d love to hear recommendations even if not all can be addressed.
IMG_2381.png

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Jaw surgery is a huge step with risks. I suggest you first see a prosthodontist to see if they can suggest a restorative solution for you. It might still require further ortho or even the surgery as you mention, but so far your occlusion seems to have been neglected. The most important function of teeth is eating and speaking.

Vote:

Ask a Question