Infected root canal

I’m After a second opinion on a failed root canal and would appreciate some input, thank you

Had a root canal carried out some 2 years ago. Didn’t get to the crown stage as after initial root canal work i returned for an X-ray which showed an infection in the root. Discussed options from another root canal to implant. Decided to wait and see ..

the tooth cracked and filling applied about 6 months later and has stood up well ever since

Two years later after doing nothing the infection is still there, but hasn’t spread.

I’ve no pain but sometimes get a pulsing feeling around gum/jaw which is exaggerated when I have a cold or sinus infection.

Is it wise for me to get this resolved sooner of later or can I carry on with the infection assuming it doesn’t spread?

It appears my body is keeping it under control but I do suffer from fatigue from time to time and wonder if this could be a cause.

Part of me think it’s a ticking time bomb and I should just bite the bullet and get an implant .

Thoughts would be great… thanks in advance

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There is always a chance that the infected area can enlarge and then lead to a sudden onset of symptoms. That being said, I have had patients with an area on the root for years, without any issues. We make a note of it and monitor it. I would suggest leaving as it is, if it is not spreading or enlarging and just make sure that you see your dentist for regular check-ups ( once every 6 months )

Vote:
That’s great, my dentist said the same and I do have 6 month check ups. Will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your advice , always helpful to get a second opinion
Thank you

Vote:

Ask a Question