: glass-ionomer-[re]storation: questions.

I have a leaking glass-ionomer-filling. A dentist told me it probably is just glass and resin. But I think all glass-ionomers convert to trace amount of fluoride, calcium, strontium, and aluminum [electricity conductor = yikes].

It broke during college 10 years ago; should have been replaced then; I've been sawing down part of it to try to get it off. But it's covering a lot of the tooth, tooth-~10. I now know that these fillings are stronger than regular enamel, which explains why it's hard to get it off and see where it ends and the tooth starts; and why it's damaging the enamel of the tooth below it when I saw down the side with dental sandpaper, because it shifts my bite a little.

I know I should just get it fixed but money or something is keeping me from repairing it, maybe I'm angry/traumatized that it will break again. But that was because I didn't replace my lingual-upper-brace-retainer so my anterior front teeth bunched together breaking the tip of the glass ionomer, releasing whatever is inside it including desensitizing-chemicals, maybe aluminum and fluoride. At night, the resin-glue with the aforementioned characteristics would fill up the left cheeks where the saliva flows, desensitizing other teeth that did not need to be desensitized, blocking certain nerves like my spleen/liver/sexual organs from fully functioning. Now that I've been sanding it down more, the saliva is corroding more surface area but I know what the problem is so I can deal with it better.

For my questions:

0) do all glass-ionomer fillcings convert into trace amounts of fluoride/aluminum when they wear down? is that why it's wearing more tough on my bottom tooth? or in this case are ruptured/broken and consequently corroded with saliva/citric acid/fruits etc?
0.5) are all glass-ionomer fillings made with Poly(acrylic acid) which polymerizes? that would explain why my mouth feels like there's goo in it; the resin is polymerizing with the food and nanoparticles, which in turn electrifies that side of my body at night. The resin is also getting on my hands and body when I spit it out.

This is the article I've been studying about GIC's:

1) could I get it light-cured but without repairing it all the way with new glue/resin/composite/cement? or does it need to be filled over again with some external shell? I heat it up with a spoon and hot water and that stops the corrosion for an hour.
2) or just get it filled in again, but then how long will it last? research says composite fillings only last about 3-5 years; I don't want an amalgam 3-surface filling if it has metals in it. maybe the new filling/glaze/composite will last plenty long enough if I also get an upper-lingual-brace to keep teeth from falling inward again if I do things like car-accidents or gymnastics.

Yeah I guess I'll just get it fixed soon when I have the cash. I'll leave this here because I want to be more certain about the structure of these fillings for my future health choices. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Ask a Question