Girlfriend with suspected atypical odontalgia - or is it!?

I’m looking for some good dental advice on behalf of my girlfriend if possible.

She is currently suffering with chronic and very debilitating pain in her upper right jaw which is a constant burning ache. Earlier this year she had a wisdom tooth extracted from her upper right jaw and also a root filling in the tooth in front of the wisdom tooth. When the normal toothache didn’t go away she had the root filling re-done by an endodontist, but the pain never really went away. Eventually the dentist advised that the tooth should be pulled and so she had it taken out. The socket has healed well according to the dentist.

However, ever since she has had a burning pain in the area in front of where the tooth was pulled. She had three courses of antibiotics in an attempt to reduce the pain. The first time the pain did go completely for one day, then crept back. The second time the pain reduced slightly, but the third time the antibiotics didn’t do much.

Eventually her dentist basically gave up and referred her to an oral surgeon. She went along last week to see him and had a very confusing consultation involving the surgeon himself, his assistant and a trainee all giving conflicting opinions! To start with she was given an x-ray. The trainee looked at it and said she thought another root filling was needed in one of the upper front right teeth. The assistant then came along and said that wasn’t necessary, then the surgeon finally came out and chatted to my girlfriend for a while before prescribing a course of amitriplyline. Now having looked this up on the web I have found that this is usually prescribed when they suspect a neuropathic problem because the drug acts as an analgesic.

This is all very well, but right now after three days of taking the amitriplyline my girlfriend says the pain is worse than ever! I also don’t understand how, if the problem is not being caused by an infection, the pain went away after the first course of antibiotics!!!??? Antibiotics wouldn’t affect a neuropathic condition surely?

Right now I’m just really fed up with the vagueness of all the professionals she has seen. Nobody seems to have a clue what the problem is and my girlfriend is at her wits end.

Can anybody give us some more avenues to explore?

Many thanks for reading.

Graham

Ask a Question