Fibrepost and Permacore - please help a nervous patient

Hi All,

My first post on here so please be kind.

I am 26 years old and around 18 years old i developed an irrational fear and suspicion of dentistry. I have spent the last year with on and off pain in my 5th tooth upper level (again please excuse my lack of knowledge and stupidity here) now i realize that waiting in pain was a silly thing to do. Long story short a piece came off the tooth the other day so i finally got to the dentists. The Dentist told me that i needed a "fibrepost and perma core comp building" and the tooth wouldn't be suitable for a crown as the procedure would ruin the tooth. I have a feeling that he is trying to push me into treatments that are not available on the NHS (i am in the UK) which is fine if necessary. My question is if the majority of the tooth is still remaining is it true that a crown is not possible? Also with the treatment he has recommended should there be a crown placed on top anyway? I am having nightmares of paying hundreds of pounds for a treatment that looks nothing like a tooth. If this is the case i would rather pay more for an extraction and implant.

Thanks in advance for your help guys

In over 20 years of practice I have not come across a case where the the majority of tooth remains and a crown is contra indicated. To be fair, an x-ray at the very least would be required by myself to form a more certain opinion.

Vote:
Yes you should get a second opinion . Also let me edit my first response . Crowns are usually and most often placed on teeth that are mostly eaten up by decay , fractured, have had a root canal and simply put have to little tooth structure left to retain a normal filling. From that view point I do not see how a tooth with the majority of tooth remaining would be ruined by a crown. There are in fact many instances when a crown would be considered over treatment. I have also learned that there are exceptions to many rules in Dentistry and with that in mind your Dentist may be right after all. Finally, if your tooth was restored with a buildup and does not expect a good prognosis as a final restoration or is aesthetically and functionally not acceptable then a crown would very likely be a better treatment.......and "possible".

Vote:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thom1931

Latest Threads