Enamel erosion or staining??

I have these stains on my two front teeth. They're pretty yellow. They don't hurt and they're not sensitive. They appeared back in August/ September. I drank coffee for over a year but stopped a few weeks ago so my teeth don't sustain anymore damage. I regularly smoke 🍃 as well. I went to the dentist in October before my insurance was turned off and mentioned the stains and they didn't say anything about them... I know I need a deep cleaning badly but have to wait for my insurance to be turned on again so it's rough. My confidence has been so low since my teeth have looked like this. I'm just wondering if these are stains or if my enamel has been eroded so I have an idea of what's going.

Attachments

• IMG_20240220_140715.jpg
    IMG_20240220_140715.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 13

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A superficial cleaning needs to be done first. If the stains remain, it might be an indication of an enamel defect or some deeper staining being the cause. You will then have to consider fillings on the front teeth. Sometimes resin veneers can be done, which is a cheaper option that porcelain veneers or crowns. It will still improve the appearance, but keep in mind that they can also stain over time , based on your diet and smoking habits.

Vote:
A superficial cleaning needs to be done first. If the stains remain, it might be an indication of an enamel defect or some deeper staining being the cause. You will then have to consider fillings on the front teeth. Sometimes resin veneers can be done, which is a cheaper option that porcelain veneers or crowns. It will still improve the appearance, but keep in mind that they can also stain over time , based on your diet and smoking habits.
Ok thanks!! I guess that makes me feel a little bit better. I do need scaling done on some of my teeth because of plaque and tar. I'm hoping it's just staining and not permanent.... Do they clean the stains during the cleaning or should I ask ahead of time???? Or is it something that would cost me extra?

Vote:
Ok thanks!! I guess that makes me feel a little bit better. I do need scaling done on some of my teeth because of plaque and tar. I'm hoping it's just staining and not permanent.... Do they clean the stains during the cleaning or should I ask ahead of time???? Or is it something that would cost me extra?
And it doesn't look like my enamel is too bad right??? That was my biggest concern!

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The superficial cleaning removes some of the stains. This does not cost extra. From the front it does not look too severe, but we would need to look at all the teeth, from all the angles to give an accurate opinion.

Vote:

Ask a Question