Strange material in root canal

I had an emergency root canal done about two months ago. I do not have insurance and could only afford to have it drilled out and the nerve removed. A build up and crown was not done. I used a water pick to clean out the hole today and a foreign light foam or sponge like material came out. Two chunks of it. Does anybody know what this is? Did they just pack the canals with foam and not actually fill them? I am pretty freaked out and confused. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 483

drmins

Verified Dentist
Dear Feenix86,
I am not sure about what is that material you are talking about,as the pic is not clear.
I guess its some cotton or temporory filling material used to close the access cavity prepared for root canal treatment.
However,i advise you to do a permanent filling if you can't afford a crown.Else,there are chances that your tooth can get re-infected.

Thanking you
Dr. Mins

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
Just got that pic enlarged.:)
As stated above,it may be a piece of cotton,if you were treated for RCT.However, pls get your permanent filling done.

Vote:
You cannot place a filling on an untreated root canal tooth. It is a waste of money for the filling. When the tooth is not fully root canal, there is a great chance for infection in the immediate future

Vote:
if you had emergency root canal treatment, the the root canal treatment is not complete. that material possibly contained a medicament to help reduce bleeding/infection and hence relieve you of pain. the root canal treatment must be completed before a filling/cap(crown) can be placed.

Vote:

Ask a Question