Pain a year after a root canal?

April 28th of 2014, I had a root canal procedure done, and had a cap put on as well. After the root canal was done, all of my pain went away. Fast forward to last Saturday, July 25th, and I was having not excruciating pain, but some sensitivity.

I made a dentist appointment, and saw the dentist. They brought me into the back and took X-Rays, came back about 20 minutes later, and said that everything looks fine. There was no discoloration, everything looked normal from the outside as well. The dentist said, the only thing she could think that could be causing pain is a cracked root. She then recommended me to an Endodontist for an evaluation. Before I left, they prescribed me Penicillin & Vicodin.

I then called the Endodontist, to make an appointment and the lady said she would call me back with a time, date and price. When I got a call back, she told me that it would be the next day, although the price would be $1,101. She also stated that she called my insurance, Humana One, and said that they will not cover the procedure because it hasn't been a 24 month period yet for the same tooth. I didn't know what to do besides put my appointment on hold and find a way to get the money.

I then thought, why would an evaluation cost more than a grand. So, I called the place back and questioned them about it and they said the price was for the procedure. My question was, how could you schedule a procedure, when we are unsure of what the problem is. So, we then set up an evaluation and found that I have 3-4 abscesses on the roots I got the root canal on. Now, I am curious to find out, is it possible for the roots to get infected after a root canal?

I asked the Endodontist if the Penicillin would heal the infection, which it was making it feel a lot better, and the swelling even went down. He said that it wouldn't help because there are no blood vessels going to that area to carry the Penicillin. I felt kind of suspicious about that, because wouldn't it have to travel to that area to make it feel better? Anyways, he said that he would have to drill above the cap and inject antibiotics to heal the abscesses. And that the procedure would be the $1,101.

My questions here are:

Could this be a cause of a root canal not done properly?
If it is, what should I do, and how do I prove it?
As of right now, after taking the Penicillin and not for a day, my mouth feels great and normal. Should I not get the procedure done?
And, does it sound like they are trying to ream me of money? LOL.

Any help will do, I just feel like I don't need this done, although once again, I am no Dentist. Thanks.

Ask a Question