Is it possable to match front teeth crown color with natural teeth?

I have two front teeth that has crowns. I am in the process of replacing one of them but the
dentist and lab is having problems matching colors with my natural teeth & first crown. It seems like
it is more guess work to get the crowns stained the proper color.

At this time I have one crown done and they are trying to match the second crown. One had to be taken
off because it was not straight when the put it on the first time. The dentist insisted on trying to match
it with the first crown. I am dealing with a local dental lab not located in the dental office.

Is there a dentist in my area that would be better to get this task done. A dentist that specializes
in restoring front teeth. Is there a way to take the guess work out of matching color?

If so how do I find this person and know that they are good. Is it even possible to get a match?

Any advise?? I need it because this is a difficult case. My natural tooth shade is inbetween
dental sample shades.

Please Help.
Thank you,

drmins

Verified Dentist
Based on the details given,i understand that you are planning to replace one out of the two crowns you already had placed. Firstly, are those old crowns matching with your other natural tooth?

If not, why dont change both of them?

Shade matching is not really a guess game.Its possible to get a near to natural crown done.
If there are stain issues,you can consider having a pic done by your dentist,to be sent to the technician.

I always recommend metal free crowns like e-max and zirconia crowns for front teeth.

Thank you
Dr.mins

Vote:
hi, are metal free crowns like e-max and zirconia crowns strong enough for front teeth? I have a front teeth but has a metal post, what's benafit of metal free crowns?

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
Zirconia crowns are excellent in terms of strength too. For metal free crowns,we always recommend fibre posts,not metal posts.
Aesthetically,metal free crowns are much superior to the normal porcelain fused to metal or PFM crowns.

Vote:
Are there other benefits with zirconia crown and fibre post? Would the fibre post be lighter and easier on the tooth?

Also I have to redo one of my crowns, is it bad to the root (the remaining natural tooth) if a crown is redo too many times? Would it weaken the structure of the root?

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
The main benefit of zirconia crowns and emax crowns is aesthetics.You can have a better marginal adaptation with these,and the possibility of having that black line between the tooth and the gums are less or nill, with these.
Fiber posts were recommended for metal free crowns,to give better aesthetics.

If done properly,redoing the crown will not weaken your tooth any way.

Go ahead. Cheers.

Vote:
Would zirconia crown also be metal free so I won't have any alergic reaction to it?

My crown feels uncomfortable sometimes, not sure if it's because I'm alergic to it, what are some common causes of a uncomfortable crown?

Vote:

drmins

Verified Dentist
Yes. Zirconia crowns are metal free.
What is the uncomfortable thing about your present crown? Pls provide a pic of the same for better understanding.

Vote:
I like to add that sometimes matching a crown with an existing crown is very difficult because one lab might use different material than the other lab or the mixing of the porcelain is not the same with every batch. using zirconia or emax crowns for front teeth will increase likely that the shade will match or natural teeth

Vote:
I just had a crown redone, I noticed my crown on my front tooth sits above the gum line from the inside, from the outside it's ok.. so basically from the inside the crown is a bit above the natural tooth structure - I have very few natural tooth left, which sits near the gum line. From the outside I see crown, then gumline.. from the inside it goes crown, natural tooth, then gumline... is this normal?? Should I get this crown redone?
Also I found I'm very sensitive to this crown when I'm tired or sick, is that normal? If I'm healthy, I don't notice the crown as much, but if I'm sick or tired, I sometimes find the crown very uncomfortable? I will be sensitive to one spot where it's not smooth and also the roughness where it connects to the natural tooth. this only happens to this crown on my front top tooth, I also have a crown on my lower front tooth, I don't notice it much at all. what could be causing this? could I have a nerve near the crown or something that gets irritated??

Vote:

Ask a Question