Is it normal to cut into an adjacent tooth when cutting to fit a crown?

I had a tooth in which an older filling had gotten a hole, and there was some decay underneath on side with the hole in the filling. So the dentist told me that I could either do a root canal or a crown. I'm assuming that the reason he didn't want to replace the filling is because underneath it was too deep.

Anyhow, I declined lidocaine, and proceeded to cut the tooth to fit a crown. I felt him cut into the tooth adjacent from the tooth he was fitting with a crown. And now ever since, it feels as though the tooth behind the crowned tooth is extremely sensitive to any cool water that I rinse that passes between the teeth. The dental office had recommended that I use a waterpik rather than flossing with a string, so I bought one, and when I use it to force water between the crowned tooth and the tooth behind it, it's extremely sensitive to a point that anymore than a second or two, and it gets excruciating. Now, warm water doesn't make it sensitive. It's just cool and cold water that it's sensitive too.

Is this normal, or did the dentist screw up? What would be the way to fix this problem with the sensitivity.

I talked to the dental office, and they told me that I could do another crown on the back tooth, but I don't really want to destroy that tooth to fit a crown. I don't mind taking out the old crown and fitting a new one after the tooth behind it is fixed.
They said that I should come in and talk to the dentist that did my tooth, but the dentist that did my tooth was gone, so I'm supposed to come in and visit them this week to talk about this tooth behind the crowned tooth.

Root canal OR a crown? First time to hear. A tooth either needs a root a canal or not.
Are you sure the pain is due to the tooth next to the crown?
Don't do another crown.... Get a second opinion asap.

Vote:

Ask a Question