Implant pain

So I started my implant process nearly a year ago and it hopefully will come to a successful conclusion soon. Anyway, I replaced a tooth on the lower jaw that had a root canal over 25 years ago. A crown was never placed on it (no dinero) so over time is basically rotted. When I finally made the decision to get an implant, I found out that an abscess had infected a large part of the bone below the tooth (requiring a significant grafting procedure). Waiting the six to seven months, the graft was successful and an implant was inserted (with no abutment).

After four additional months post implant, I was finally deemed ready for the abutment and eventually the crown. What I find curious is that when I had my 1 month and what became three month post implant visits, the dentist was somewhat surprised by the level of discomfort I had in the area when he applied pressure with that evil steel hook thingy. I was surprised by his surprisement because I could not envision it not hurting?

Anyway, having waited an additional month post implant because of the sensitivity in the area, I went into to get the abutment (which turned out to be removing the first screw and inserting the new one with abutment. That was nearly a week ago and boy, was it not fun. The dentist originally intended to remove the first implant and place the new one sans any numbing agent. Terrified, I said okay.

The removal of the first screw was terrifying but fairly painless. The placing of the new one though was not that way. I mean, he was able to begin placing it but once it started to get tight, the pain shot down to my toes! Again, the dentist was a bit surprised by my reaction. And again, I cannot envision a scenario where that particular action would not be painful.

They then when to a topical numbing agent (which did nothing) to the shot. And even with the shot of novocaine, that final tightening reached the high pain category. Okay, now after all this, here is my first semi-question. The dentist seemed to infer that the pain was due to contact with the gum (or something like that?). He would ask where it hurt, and frankly, it hurt everywhere. The pain was difficult to locate and I was busy suffering, but it did not feel like just a gum issue. Seemed to me to be the same as before (when he poked and prodded and one and three months). What if, the pain was in the bone? You know, the place that the screw was being tightened? Is that significant in any way?

Second, I am a week post second implant screw (with abutment). I am scheduled to go in next Monday for the crown but I have a hard time believing it won't be extremely painful because the area feels sensitive still. It is supposed to heel in the next four days? As a side note, when the second implant was placed, the dentist was about to take it out because he could not tighten much, even with novocaine, on account of me screaming in pain. He was about to remove it he determined it was already a tight fit. Maybe that is why I was screaming? Anyway, I assume if I am still sensitive come next Monday, I need to tell him something, as I don't believe that crowns are generally placed using a numbing agent.

hi;
Well first of all ı have to say that I had the same problem around 3 years ago. Obviously I needed to get 8 implants (4 on the top and 4 on the bottom) and full mouth crown. What can I say I am young but my dad also lost his tooth really young. Anyway just because I was so afraid I decded to have only 1 for the beginning. The dentist sad the same think my bond was not enough strong to carry the implant so they put graft (new bond:)) and ı waited around 6 months. everything was ok. after 6 months ı got my implant but the think I didn t check for details. around 2 months later I got really huge pain. I went to dentist may be everyday to stop the pain but painkillers didin t work. I got the same oparaion as you had. they took of the implant and sad that I need a new one. I did not convinced about the reason why I had that crazy pain and why they ned to put a new one. Thats why I didn t accept to have another implant in the same place.

After all I did big research about implantolojy let s say implants are different with the quality and size. Your dentist should check about all alerjic situations off you and find the true implant to put. While I was searching I found out one clinic in Turkey (surprisely so cheap) I called them and asked for all details. I checked for forum of clinic and talked to other pations. Finally I decided to go anyway I wanted to go for holiday too. They offered free transfer from airport and free accomndation. The hygiene surprised me and smiley faces. There were around 8 dentists but the surgeon was around 35-40 years old a kind man and really has fast hands. I waited for first 2 days before treatment and watched for pations who are coming mostly from England. Everything seemed ok to me. After 2 days I start with my treatment wıth 4 implant in a day and 4 for next day. The name was Qimplant made by German.
(350£ for 1 implant)!!!

After a week my implant operation done. I have to say that I am so happy now. I was gonna have porselen crowns in Spain but now I have zirconium jus because of the prices in Turkey :) I paid around 100£ for one zirconium.

End of the story, you never know what is the problem when you get pain. Do research and don t decide quick.

Vote:

Ask a Question