Filling Quandary

Two years ago my regular dentist diagnosed me with a significant cavity in one of my teeth. She filled that cavity. A year later, during my annual exam, she said that the filling had cracked and needed to be replaced. I never heard of a filling cracking after just one year (I have fillings lasting 30+ years!) so I asked her why it cracked and she shrugged her shoulders with a "who knows?" look on her face. Not satisfied with this brush-off I decided to get a second opinion from a different dentist in a different community.

The dentist I saw for the second opinion told me the first dentist was in error and that he could not detect any crack in the filling, either via x-ray or with a visual inspection. This dentist was patient and answered all my questions and let me satisfied that there was indeed no crack in the filling. After thinking about it, I decided to go back to that dentist for my regular annual exam this year.

Jeykell and Hyde. This time around he was rude and condescending. Worse, he now is telling me there is indeed a crack in the filling of that exact same tooth and that it needs to be entirely drilled out and replaced. Now, I suppose it's possible that over the last eight months a crack developed but I'm really skeptical. I don't have any pain or any problem with that tooth.

So I'm perplexed about what to do. I don't want to go back to my original dentist to get the work done because she was the one who messed up the filling to begin with. On the other hand, I no longer trust my current dentist anymore either because apparently he got it wrong last year. I could attempt to find a third dentist to take yet another look at that tooth but my insurance won't cover it.

So I'm perplexed. The tooth doesn't bother me but I don't know who or what to trust in this situation.

Ask a Question