About Dental IOPA

So recently my nurse is complaining that she does want to get to close to x-ray machine while taking x-ray. In my practice i don't have much space and there is like 3 steps or 2 meter distance between the person who is taking the x-ray and the machine ( or patient whose x-ray is taken). Sometimes i always get too close to position the tube while she is taking the x-ray( pressing the button). That being said i want to know how bad it might if i don't use lead apron jackets. and also do you know a senior dentist that have suffered any radiation complications ? If you answer my question thanks in advance.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
With modern dental digital x-rays, the amount of harmful radiation is very low. I have not heard of any of my colleagues suffering from any negative effects. To ease the mind of your assistant, you can perhaps change the position of the activation button. Mine is outside my room, just by the door.

Vote:
So recently my nurse is complaining that she does want to get to close to x-ray machine while taking x-ray. In my practice i don't have much space and there is like 3 steps or 2 meter distance between the person who is taking the x-ray and the machine ( or patient whose x-ray is taken). Sometimes i always get too close to position the tube while she is taking the x-ray( pressing the button). That being said i want to know how bad it might if i don't use lead apron jackets. and also do you know a senior dentist that have suffered any radiation complications ? If you answer my question thanks in advance.
With modern dental digital x-rays, the amount of harmful radiation is very low. I have not heard of any of my colleagues suffering from any negative effects. To ease the mind of your assistant, you can perhaps change the position of the activation button. Mine is outside my room, just by the door.
I guess that is the only option but the problem is my x-ray is not digital.

Attachments

• 2509-202201191053509559.jpg
    2509-202201191053509559.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Perhaps it is time to upgrade to a digital system. There are a lot of affordable hand held systems on the market today.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The main place to avoid is being in direct path of the primary beam; second best place is to the side; safest place is behind the Xray machine. You have to take steps to protect your staff and other people - you could be in breach of safety laws and leaving yourself open to litigation. I'd suggest you sign up for a radiation monitoring service for at least 6 months, it's really not expensive and is the only way to be sure you're being safe (and reassure others).
With some difficult patients, e.g. children, I would sometimes hold an Xray holder (like Rinn) with my fingers and stand to the side. I had a monitor on my torso, and a ring sensor on my finger. Over 12 months, I never exceeded normal background radiation.
In Australia, lead aprons are no longer used for standard dental Xrays where the beam is aimed largely laterally. Even for pregnant women.
Radiation.jpg

Attachments

• Extracted pages from Radiation Protection in Dentistry (ARPANSA 10)-4.pdf
    14.1 KB · Views: 1

Vote:
The main place to avoid is being in direct path of the primary beam; second best place is to the side; safest place is behind the Xray machine. You have to take steps to protect your staff and other people - you could be in breach of safety laws and leaving yourself open to litigation. I'd suggest you sign up for a radiation monitoring service for at least 6 months, it's really not expensive and is the only way to be sure you're being safe (and reassure others).
With some difficult patients, e.g. children, I would sometimes hold an Xray holder (like Rinn) with my fingers and stand to the side. I had a monitor on my torso, and a ring sensor on my finger. Over 12 months, I never exceeded normal background radiation.
In Australia, lead aprons are no longer used for standard dental Xrays where the beam is aimed largely laterally. Even for pregnant women.
View attachment 6664
This was a good read.

Vote:
This was a good read.
If i am one meter away i.e. behind the machine while shooting, would n't that be safe enough. Also do you any senior collegues who had complications due to dental iopa ? i would like to know just to follow the safety protocols.

Vote:

Ask a Question