Need a bit of advice on a periapical cyst

I had an x-ray taken today, the dentist noticed a cyst which had formed above a tooth which is an abutment tooth for a 3 unit bridge. It is not infected, and the root has calcified. My opinion on this is that since the bridge never fit properly, excessive pressure may have caused this. The root has calcified, which is quite obvious as well.

The cyst is well encapsulated and not infected, so the dentist wants to give me antibiotics. This makes no sense to me. Can we just wait and review the size of the cyst over time rather than getting into any more aggressive treatment?

Do not worry about it, the dentist will give you suggestions, you can turn to dental experts. They will give you great help.

Thanks Molly, my problem now appears to be an actual abscess there is a fistula which had formed which I couldn't see. Unfortunately it is way up at the apex of the tooth, so now I'm wondering which route to go on the endodontia side of things. Amazing how two x-rays can be so very different.

Vote:

Ask a Question