My son's teeth are chipping

Hi please can anyone help my son is 7 his back baby teeth are like this I'm so worried. I have 3 children who have enamel hypoplasia also. My son s front teeth are also very yellow.

Attachments

• IMG_20180409_092340.jpg
    IMG_20180409_092340.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 314
Solutions
I'm not an expert on this but have you had your children tested for nutritional absorption issues/amino acid deficiency / pernicious anaemia etc? It's possible that there's something blocking normal processing of vit D and calcium. Can happen with gluten/lactose intolerance among others.

Vote:
Thank you for replying. I've not had my children tested no as I'm not sure how I go about it but I will look in to that thank you. I had antibiotics in my 4 pregnancies unfortunately though.

Vote:
Solutions
Go to a nutritionist. They can advise you on tests. It should not be too expensive. Worth ruling it out, but it if they do find there is a defect they can remedy it with different approaches while the child is still developing.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The teeth don't look particularly chipped to me; it is not unusual for baby teeth to wear down a bit over time, but your photo is too indistinct. Hypoplasia in baby teeth is extremely rare, and the Mum would have had to have serious medical issues during pregnancy to affect baby teeth (and not affect rest of child in some way). It is certainly not a nutritional issue, and you would be wasting your money by going to a nutritionist or undergoing unnecessary medical tests; plus causing yourself stress. As for yellow front teeth - baby teeth are always whiter than adult teeth, so he may just be "normal". Have you been to a dentist?

Vote:
Thank you for your reply. I have seen a dentist but my daughter has a lot of dental issues and I felt the dentist fobbed me off ( absolutely thought he was lovely) and I told the receptionist this at the dentist's as I aaked to see if more could be done I went an appointment as arranged he shouted at me and refused to see myself and my children again ( although I wouldn't go back) but I am trying get in a new dentist

Vote:
This is my son's teeth yesterday his front tooth on the right has been repaired a boy threw a brick at his tooth.

Attachments

• IMG_20180409_081618.jpg
    IMG_20180409_081618.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Vote:
This is a photo of my sons teeth In January.

I will also attach photos of my other childrens teeth.

Photos don't show the extent of my daughters teeth unfortunately.

So first photo is my sons teeth again - first 2 pictures (trying show the yellowness)

the next 2 photos are my daughters teeth. She has fillings in her back teeth. Shes had her front teeth covered in whitener (they were badly orange) and most of her teeth have brown patches off most of her teeth.

Last picture;
I have 3 daughters
One has brown patches on most of her teeth and decay (not proud of this just being honest)
My second daughter she has white patches on her teeth like pictured best I can she has pits in her teeth and also her teeth are chipping exactly like my sons in top photo
lastly my youngest her 2 front teeth has like a pit/dent in her front tooth and also the bottom of her teeth they both come in like this.

I know my children should not have these issues
I use fluoride toothpaste
I cut the sugar
I brush twice a day
my eldest 3 have an electric toothbrush

I am genuinely at a loss and I know have failed my children. And I am trying to be honest as possible with my childrens issues.

With my son I had terrible morning sickness
And with all 4 of my children I had antibiotics but I had no other issues in any pregnancies.

I am absolutely devastated :( I just want to sort their dental issues so badly.

Thank you

Attachments

• tooth11.png
    tooth11.png
    675.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 302
  • 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 99.jpg
    99.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 307
  • ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 317

Vote:
Sorry to post again. I am based in UK and I also asked if my daughter could have her teeth capped (with decay) its just spreading so bad I am genuinely at a loss at where I am going wrong :( I know it doesn't look like that but I am honestly trying my best.

Vote:
Solutions
I'm not a dentist but your son's adult teeth look pretty healthy and normal. Yellow isn't always a bad thing in adult teeth.

Don't blame yourself. Have you asked about having their teeth sealed? I don't think they do this any more as a matter of course on the NHS these days but a dentist can still do it and could avoid cavities in adult teeth. It could be genetic factors but try to avoid acidic "healthy" drinks and acidic fruit too. It's not just sugar than harms enamel. A friend who was a dentist once told me that the worst thing to eat for decay is raisins. Some people think that's a healthy snack. I've read that brushing teeth right after eating isn't good for the enamel either. Apparently the enamel is more soft just after eating, particularly after eating anything than generates an acid attack. Best to rinse with water and wait 20 mins to brush. Avoid carbonated drinks even if they have no sugar. I'm sure you know all this already.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sorry to post again. I am based in UK and I also asked if my daughter could have her teeth capped (with decay) its just spreading so bad I am genuinely at a loss at where I am going wrong :( I know it doesn't look like that but I am honestly trying my best.
Tooth11: Relatively normal colouration, maybe hint of hypoplasia in top left incisor, but of no concern. If you think the "chips" are the bumps on the teeth, then no, these are called mamelons and are a normal part of tooth growth. Mamelons normally wear down as we get older - you probably don't have them anymore. Tooth55 is same photo.
Tooth66 shows some minor decay around margins of front teeth, and a bit more decay around upper left 1st molar. usually no need to treat these as they are unlikely to get worse. Just make sure back molars are in good condition - you need Xrays. The dark upper front left tooth is probably from a bump as a toddler; no need for treatment unless pain or swelling, and it will not have caused damage to underlying adult tooth.Tooth montage ddd really hard to see clearly.
In general, damage to front baby teeth is treated conservatively. If you look after them, they will not worsen, and I would not suggest "capping" front teeth just for the appearance.Baby molars must be examined carefully for decay and treated promptly, sometimes with stainless steel caps. Just keep up regular visits to dentist.

Vote:
My daughter who gas enamel hypoplasia has woke up with her tooth like this
Photo does not show how bad it is

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_133810.jpg
    IMG_20180507_133810.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 280

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
My daughter who gas enamel hypoplasia has woke up with her tooth like this
Photo does not show how bad it is
Chipped baby incisor, most likely from hitting something (not necessarily in last 24 hrs). No need for treatment.

Vote:

Ask a Question