Xray added- Does this look like peri implantitis?

Hello,

I (mid-20, female) recently got my upper baby canine pulled and replaced same day with a zirconium implant and immediate temporary crown early Oct 2020. Here are the xrays of the tooth before the procedure and the most recent xray from my latest cleaning. I see there are some radiolucency around the implant. Is this normal? I have no pain/bleeding, but once in a while I feel a weird sensation that the gum on the palatal side on that implant is 'different' from the rest of them.

20210225_140623.jpg

20210225_141458.jpg

20210225_144418.jpg

Last edited:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Usually peri-implantitis only comes after a condition known as peri-mucositis.
This condition is usually characterized by pain and/or bleeding of the gums around the implant. On the x-ray it looks okay. If your gums are healthy and you don't notice any mobility on your implant or swelling, continue to go for regular check-ups and cleanings.
The bone around an immediate implant can sometimes take 4 to 6 months to fully mineralize again.

Vote:
Thank you docs, the last two xrays above were taken 4 month post op also so I wasn't sure the radiolucency toward the coronal and the adjacent premolar were normal. What could be the explanations of the bone density around that area, since it looks like I have pretty ok bone density pre op and the extraction was atraumatic?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Usually even after a atraumatic extraction, there is some bone loss that occurs. And then it can take six months for the immature or woven bone that fills the socket, to get fully mineralized again.

Vote:

Ask a Question