(X-ray) Do I need root canal procedure? Need second opinion

Hi everyone!

I had a root canal procedure on my tooth # 30 (1st molar) done by Endo 3 weeks ago.

Couple days ago I went to my general dentist to get a crown and now he tells me that tooth #29 (2nd bicuspid) next to it also needs a root canal. He says he sees dark spots on X-ray. He also said If I get a root canal done that he will make a better and stronger crown since both teeth are next to each other.

I'm hesitant to get a root canal done on tooth #29 since it doesn't bother me. It's not sensitive to hot/cold and I don't have any pain.

I already scheduled appointment with my Endo doctor but would love to hear second opinion from this community.

Thanks!

Attachments

• rsql2x.jpg
    rsql2x.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sorry, really poor quality image. He sees dark spots? At the apex? The primary test (in the absence of pain) to determine if an RCT is required would be a pulp vitality test (cold or EPT). An Xray is a secondary test with mixed results and interpretation. I'd think that the endo would have noticed a concern with #29.

Vote:
Sorry, really poor quality image. He sees dark spots? At the apex? The primary test (in the absence of pain) to determine if an RCT is required would be a pulp vitality test (cold or EPT). An Xray is a secondary test with mixed results and interpretation. I'd think that the endo would have noticed a concern with #29.

Yes at the apex. He said since you have insurance It's better to do root canal on it now. He didn't do any other tests. Anyway I have an appointment with endo next Friday. Want to hear second opinion. I don't want to do root canal just for the sake of it.

Vote:

Ask a Question