x-ray dark patch under vital teeth

Hi, I've been suffering with a problem that 3 dentists have been unable able to get to the bottom of so I'm reaching out for some advise.

About 18 months ago i thought I had an abscess, 4 of my teeth became very painful and they felt like there was a pressure under them. I went to the dentist who then performed an x-ray. The x-ray revealed a dark patch under some of my teeth so naturally my dentist thought I needed root canal. The trouble is though all my teeth are vital except one that had had root canal treatment 10 years ago.

The tooth that has had root canal is on the end of the 4 problematic teeth. I got a second opinion because I didn't think teeth needed root canal if they where vital. The verdict I got then was that the tooth that had previously had root canal needed re-doing. I couldn't afford the fees for getting it done privately so I went back to my NHS dentist who was confident she could perform the treatment.

A couple of weeks ago she re-worked the tooth with root canal and from what I can see from the x-ray she's done a really good job. A fresh x-ray showed that the filling stuff had spread into the lateral canals and she was pleased with how it went.

About 5 days later the other 3 teeth starting throbing again and my gum swelled up and became very painful for around 24 hours. I think the gum may have burst and the swelling went down but I still feel a discomfort under the teeth. I went back to the dentist and she ruled out the problem being an abscess and is herself seeking advice as to what the problem could be.

The situation now is I have 3 vital teeth that look to need root canal because the x-ray is showing dark patches at and around the root of 2 of my teeth.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

Ask a Question