Would Zirconia be the right way to go?

Thank you for taking a look at my issue.

Recently I suffered an accident to both of my incisors. One was broken in half and will require a crown while the other has a chip on the bottom side of the tooth next to the other incisor. 2 dentists recommended crowns and do not feel a filling will solve the problem for either tooth.

One dentist offered PFM while the other recommended Zirconia. After researching both I believe Zirconia would be best if I develop gum recession. I do not want to see exposed metal.

Question:
1. is this a sound decisions?
2. which type or Zirconia is recommended for the two front teeth?

Thank you!

Ad

Advertisements

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Great questions! I would go for Full Contour Zirconia (fake diamond). PFMs tend to look too opaque and the Porcelain layer over the metal tends to fracture. There are many grades of Zirconia ranging from the most durable (less esthetic) to the most esthetic (less durable). The dentist needs to evaluate your bite and assess the risks of fracture. If you have high risks of fracture, you may need to opt for the most durable. Emax crowns are very Hollywood esthetic, but they are not durable and will likely fracture.

Vote:
Thank you for your input, honestdoc. My bite has been evaluated as low risk for fracture. The dentist is currently inquiring as to the grades of Zirconia produced by his lab. Hopefully, they offer the most advanced options presently available.

What is the best aesthetic grade of Zirconia? What are the top 3 best aesthetic grades HAHA.

Thank you for your continued help

Last edited:

Vote:
Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question