Worry over hygienist

I just got back from my first endodontist appointment. Overall it was okay - just a consultation, but he wanted to do a test on a tooth by numbing it to see if I still had pain when I bite down. Fine - no problem. I'm actually really good about shots at the dentist.

I closed my eyes for the procedure, as I usually do, and took a deep breath. Well, for some reason I opened them for a second, just in time to see the assistant passing the long q-tip thing with the numbing gel over my face. Right over my face! I read an article once about how important eyewear is at the dentist due to flying debris and whatnot. I also read about a woman who had the needle passed over her face and dropped by a dentist right into her eye. It ended up being infected with strep and she lost her eye. So after seeing the q-tip thing being passed over, I can only assume she passed the needle over my face too. I was already not impressed with her after telling her I'm moving to London and her asking me what language they speak there(!!) Anyway, they didn't offer me any eyewear here, which I didn't worry about at first since it was just a consultation.

Now I'm quite worried that maybe some of the numbing gel fell off the q-tip and into my eye but I just didn't feel it. . .or worse! Any input on whether her technique is normal or if any of my concerns could happen/have happened to others?

Thanks!

Noel Brandon Kelsh says in one his articles that, "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that all dental health-care professionals (DHCP) should wear protective eyewear." and that, "The Organization for Safety and Health Administration requires that all employers supply eye wear or face shield protection for all their employees."

If you are thoroughly concerned for your safety with the dental hygeneist you visited, I would contact the company and ask about their staff safety requirements.

However, you must understand that eye injuries during oral procedures can happen, but they are unlikely. Even if this were to occur, all dentist personnel are trained in emergency eye injury care.

Vote:

Ask a Question