Worried ! Swallowed some amalgam filling debris while dental restoration

I had a crack tooth and the dentist recommended composite filling, somehow or rather she was getting impatient with me because i had a blocked nose and a gag reflex as the nurse did not did a good job with the suction , when drilling water sprayed went to my throat and gagged me as the nurse did not place the suction to my mouth and i had to rinsed my mouth a few times .this is the first time i experience this after previous fillings was not that bad .
then she applied some gel to my teeth and it was very salty and i had to rinse my mouth . she was getting impatient .
she recommended me amalgam instead of composite claiming that it amalgam as it is more lasting for molars and also faster for her to fill my teeth,I then agreed during the process she put me on the teeth clamp and started putting the amalgam filling , some of the small bits went out of the filling and landed around my gums and tongue was very uncomfortable , and I requested the Dentist to let me rinse she did not allowed it as she said it will soften the filling and she can only allow me to rinse after the teeth clamp is taken off.she could have used the vacuum or suction to remove the debris instead she asking me to swallow my saliva instead the assistant was nowhere in sight . i was getting worried as i cant speak due to the clamp in my mouth and I had a gag reflex and I had to swallow my salive in spite of the tiny metal debris in my mouth and I believed i swallowed tiny bits of the metal filling. Is it the normal that she could not allow me to rinse before the clamp is taken out and is it dangerous to swallow some of this metal mercury fillings? I am disappointed that she did not take any preventive safety measures. After rinsing I told her that and she told me it’s fine and I didn’t swallowed any?

Solutions
That sounds like an awful experience. Firstly the dentist should not have been getting impatient with you, secondly you should not have been left with no suction. I'm sure she is right about the moisture but she should put processes in place that keep you safe, comfortable and in control.

I'm sure nature will take its course and that it's more dangerous to inhale the dust when amalgam fillings are being removed than to swallow bits of debris. It's lucky though that you did not breathe them in because that could cause a serious problem.

You should make a complaint.

Vote:
That sounds like an awful experience. Firstly the dentist should not have been getting impatient with you, secondly you should not have been left with no suction. I'm sure she is right about the moisture but she should put processes in place that keep you safe, comfortable and in control.

I'm sure nature will take its course and that it's more dangerous to inhale the dust when amalgam fillings are being removed than to swallow bits of debris. It's lucky though that you did not breathe them in because that could cause a serious problem.

You should make a complaint.
Thanks bee for replying. I did breath through my mouth and swallowed some , however it was not a amalgam removal it was a amalgam restoration and placement. First time doing an amalgam

Vote:
Solutions
Hi Way, I realise that. If you ever have it removed make sure they use a dental dam which is a rubber sheet that stops any debris going to your mouth.

Anyway I hope the tooth feels ok and that you're not in pain.

Vote:
Hi Way, I realise that. If you ever have it removed make sure they use a dental dam which is a rubber sheet that stops any debris going to your mouth.

Anyway I hope the tooth feels ok and that you're not in pain.
Hi bee,
My purpose of this post is to find out if it is dangerous for me during this restoration process as the fillings drop during carving. I have googled and find out that removal is dangerous but how about my case of restoration. Dentist claim it is not dangerous because no vapor involved even if bits go into my lungs and stomach

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you swallowed the amalgam (or amalgam dust), it'll come out the other end, no big deal. The only time to worry about swallowed filling material is if the patient doesn't naturally swallow - then you have to check if it's gone down the lungs. Extremely rare.

Vote:
If you swallowed the amalgam (or amalgam dust), it'll come out the other end, no big deal. The only time to worry about swallowed filling material is if the patient doesn't naturally swallow - then you have to check if it's gone down the lungs. Extremely rare.
Hi Matt,
Thanks for your reply. I had a gag reflex at the point of time when the Dentist was carving the mold on the TOP 3rd molar . Can feel debris dropping on my gums and tongue . I need to swallow the saliva that was accumulating at the back of the throat and waited till she removed the tooth clamp and I rinsed my mouth after will all the filling out in the sink. During the time of the process I was swallowing my saliva to reduced the uncomfortable feeling and breathe through my mouth a few times. When I called the Dentist today the boss of the clinic claimed it is normal while filling up amalgam and the did not use the suction in fear of getting their tubes stuck with amalgam and dental dam might not be essential at this treatment . What preventive measures should Dentist use for this procedure to prevent injesting bits Is that true? .they also claimed not possible to swallow as gums and tongue are wet so it stuck to the gums and tongue . Lol what an answer they provided. Should I go for a mercury test?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No, amalgam is an inorganic mercury compound that is not absorbed by the body. It's the inorganic compounds (e.g. ethylmercury, methylmercury) most commonly found in fish that cause mercury levels in your body. But you'd have to eat a lot of heavily contaminated fish. And the signs of acute mercury poisoning are not the vague crap you find on Google. Look up Minimata on Wiki if you really want to get scared.

Vote:
No, amalgam is an inorganic mercury compound that is not absorbed by the body. It's the inorganic compounds (e.g. ethylmercury, methylmercury) most commonly found in fish that cause mercury levels in your body. But you'd have to eat a lot of heavily contaminated fish. And the signs of acute mercury poisoning are not the vague crap you find on Google. Look up Minimata on Wiki if you really want to get scared.
Thanks again buddy for enlightening. I Guess I can sleep better tonight

Vote:
Injesting is not that dangerous, the dust if entered my lungs I will feel
Choked however it didn’t . But if enter my lungs as bits not vapor is it still hazardous?

Vote:
Solutions
If it had entered your lungs you'd have been choking at the time. There is no vapour when you are putting in an amalgam filling. The danger is meant to be when you are removing it. So if you ever need to have it replaced make sure they use a dental dam.

Vote:

Ask a Question