Worried about odd lump on gum

Hi all,

My first post here so hi to all the regulars!

A few days ago, while eating, I felt an odd bit of flesh I my mouth. Upon inspection I was a small round lump on my lower gum right on the site of a year's old extraction and next to a tooth that has had lots of reconstruction.

I gave it a prod and a poke and found that, with a little tear it came off! It was a small sack of skin with a fatty/fleshy inside. What was left was a small round patch of red which bled lightly for a few mins and then stopped.

There as no pain at any point and no other issues to note.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be and if I should be worried? My first, and probably over the top reaction, was cancer so now I am super stressed but can find nothing like it online.

Any input would be amazing and yes, I will get to a dentist, but any reassurance in the meantime would certainly help me sleep.

Thanks all.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is hard to guess without images. My best guess is possible bone "spur" we call sequestrum which is a dead piece of bone the body is trying to exfoliate. It is very rare (~3% according to the average of numerous sources) to get cancer in the mouth from just noticing a bump. The only way to diagnose cancer is to take a sample and look at it under a microscope (biopsy).

Vote:
It is hard to guess without images. My best guess is possible bone "spur" we call sequestrum which is a dead piece of bone the body is trying to exfoliate. It is very rare (~3% according to the average of numerous sources) to get cancer in the mouth from just noticing a bump. The only way to diagnose cancer is to take a sample and look at it under a microscope (biopsy).

Thanks so much for your reply

Would the condition you speak of where the body is pushing out a bone or tooth fragment caause the small sack of skin I describe? It is soft, no hard bone to speak of but it sounds very possible its that as behind where it was is hard tooth or bone

Having checked again there is no sign of it but I guess if it is that it will return as the bone is still pushing, correct?

Do I need to treat if we assume it is that or will my body work its magic?

Last edited:

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Usually the mouth heals very quickly and any pieces of dead bone will exfoliate naturally or if deep internally, become resorbed. Keep up with all your dental visits to minimize concerning surprises.

Vote:

Ask a Question