Wisdom Tooth Infection

Hi There,

I have had this ongoing wisdom tooth problem for a month now. Around 1 year ago I woke up one day with the flap of gum hanging over my wisdom tooth very swollen and incredibly painful, I went to my dentist who said I have an infection so he cleaned it and gave me antibiotics, first a dose of amoxicillin which didn't work and then metronidazole which seemed to clear the pain and the infection for around a year.

Most recently I felt a bit of pain in the area so I went back to the dentist as I didn't want it to end up like the first time, he cleaned out the area which seemed to reduce the inflammation and pain, a week later I noticed I was still getting pus coming out of the flap, although no pain or swelling, I went back to the dentist and he gave me amoxicillin again this didn't clear the pus, I then got metronidazole which didn't do anything either... he then decided to cut the flap of gum hanging over the tooth off in hope that cleaning and saltwater will resolve the problem, for the first weak I wasn't able to clean it really due to the pain during the recovery however now that the gum has healed I can do so.. yet I am still getting pus coming out when I press on the side of the gum? My tooth is actually coming out in the correct position so I'd rather avoid extraction if I could?

Any help would be great,

Thanks,

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No, your tooth doesn't have enough clearance to prevent infections from getting in a round the back of the gum. That's why you still have pus. Have it extracted; you've had 2 "warnings" so far, next time it may be worse.

Vote:

Ask a Question