Wisdom tooth extraction methods and Dr Joel M Berns

Hi there,

I grew up in Stamford CT and in 1981 the most awesome dentist Dr Joel M Berns removed my wisdom teeth before I went to college. Dr Berns had a unique (at the time) technique, where he sectioned the tooth into 4 pieces and removed each piece individually. Many of my friends and family had their wisdom teeth removed with this process by Dr Berns and none of us had any issues or even needed serious pain meds to recover.

It is time for my kids to get their wisdom teeth done and of course Dr Berns is long since retired. Does anyone know.

1) What this technique is called and if its still used?

2) Any dentists in Pittsburgh PA who practice such a method?

Thanks,
Bruce

BTE- I don't believe his method of treatment has a specific name; sectioning wisdom teeth is done when removing it in one piece will by difficult and/ or will cause damage to adjacent teeth and hard (bone) /soft (gum) tissue. Now, sectioning wisdom teeth is common when they are impacted. However, sectioning the wisdom tooth into 4 pieces is done in rare occasion for sure. AF05

Vote:
BTE- I don't believe his method of treatment has a specific name; sectioning wisdom teeth is done when removing it in one piece will by difficult and/ or will cause damage to adjacent teeth and hard (bone) /soft (gum) tissue. Now, sectioning wisdom teeth is common when they are impacted. However, sectioning the wisdom tooth into 4 pieces is done in rare occasion for sure. AF05

Vote:
I had my impacted wisdom teeth treated by Dr. Joel Berns in 1982. As I recall, he pulverized the tooth and then removed the pieces. Never had any problem, although my current dentist says he can see scar tissue where the tooth must have been. But again 40 years later and it’s still fine!

Vote:

Ask a Question