Wisdom tooth dropped out - existing issue - no bleed / discomfort - dentist visit?

I had pain and inflammation on my wisdom tooth which led me to visit my dentist a good few years ago.

I had gum disease and bone loss, especially around that tooth and had regular hygiene visits until covid hit.

There has always been some movement on that tooth, but around 6 weeks ago, I noticed it became much looser. The first week it came to light was when chewing, sometimes I would inadvertently bite onto that tooth on what seemed like at a 45 degree angle, could be quite painful.

In the past couple of weeks, with careful chewing, I've noticed that it seemed to slot back into placed more easily and movement was not only from side to side, but wiggles back and forth. I also noticed the tepe brushes (grey) would slide straight through if I pulled it through (as it tips the tooth back - I then use my finger to push back in).

To my surprise, maybe not helped by my tougue playing with the tooth, that tooth has now popped out.

I don't feel any discomfort, there's not blood, not even a tinge of pink in the saliva, no throbbing etc. The question is, do I actually need to visit a dentist?

I was going to say it'll just heal, but that process may have taken place in the weeks leading to this point?

I'd imagine the only point of a visit would be for them to keep a record of the tooth loss and gum condition?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I suspect your other teeth may be on the verge of the same fate. You need to get regular checkups and periodontal treatment (deep cleanings, possible surgery) and maintenance.

Vote:
I suspect your other teeth may be on the verge of the same fate. You need to get regular checkups and periodontal treatment (deep cleanings, possible surgery) and maintenance.
Thanks for our reply.

I have been getting very regular checkups and cleaning until just before covid. Up to that point, things were stable provided I continued with my routine which included the use of tepe brushes.

The wisdom tooth which fell out was the problematic one, which prompted my initial visit and was advised it will become loose and may need extraction.

My concern at the moment is whether if I actually need medical attention or will it heal naturally? I feel no pain, discomfort, see no blood - I suppose I will know by now if there's an infection building or are there other signs to indicate infection / further bone loss in that area?

Thanks

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
For the most part, your mouth heals fast. I don't believe you need any medical/dental attention for this tooth unless you have swelling. I seen patients' teeth and gums deteriorate dramatically from before Covid to now. I would get a check up as stated before.

Vote:
Thanks again for taking the time to reply honestdoc.

Thankfully, no swelling or any indication of infection etc.

I have a feeling that once I felt the tooth was much looser than it normally is (and when it felt like being dislodged when I chewed / bit down on it around 6 - 8 weeks ago), that was probably the point where gums / bones detached and began self-healing? I haven't really noticed any bleeding. I'd only notice pain if I'd inadvertently bit down on it whilst eating, or if it was 'back in its slot', some pain is felt if I pushed down with my finger.

I assume if there was bacteria eating into the bones which held the tooth (the roots of which looks in much worse condition that the tooth itself), I would know about it?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately you cannot feel your gums deteriorate. By the time your teeth feels loose, it is too late. I cannot force you to get a check up. We cannot reverse teeth loss, but we can prevent, manage and maintain.

Vote:

Ask a Question