Wisdom Teeth Post-Op, Hole in Gum, No Pain?

I got my wisdom teeth pulled on the third. They've been healing fine and I've been eating normal foods and feeling no pain ever since the 12th. In the last couple of days a bunch of white stuff has been getting dislodged (from the googling I've done, it's just dead tissue on top of the healing site and is normal). Well, today a huge white thing got loose in the site and I dislodged it with my tongue semi-accidentally (it got loose and I thought it was food stuck). And then I checked in the mirror and there's a small hole in the gum. This is worrying me a lot. I really don't want to go to the dentist to get a dry socket filled, but I don't think it is one. There's been no pain since I've opened the hole (though I am only writing 15 minutes after) and I didn't feel pain or discomfort in that area before either. I drank a little water to see if that would give me a shock of pain and it didn't. Is it a dry socket? Do I need to go to the dentist to get it filled? Is it normal? If I don't go there will it eventually close on it's own? Thank you so much!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20170717_235233.jpg
    IMG_20170717_235233.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 40,178
I would gargle with some salt water to draw out any possible infection if any and keep it clean and do a checkup with your dentist as soon as possible

Bacteria is everywhere and a little hole like that will be a new home to some if u do not keep it clean do your best

Vote:
I got my wisdom teeth pulled on the third. They've been healing fine and I've been eating normal foods and feeling no pain ever since the 12th. In the last couple of days a bunch of white stuff has been getting dislodged (from the googling I've done, it's just dead tissue on top of the healing site and is normal). Well, today a huge white thing got loose in the site and I dislodged it with my tongue semi-accidentally (it got loose and I thought it was food stuck). And then I checked in the mirror and there's a small hole in the gum. This is worrying me a lot. I really don't want to go to the dentist to get a dry socket filled, but I don't think it is one. There's been no pain since I've opened the hole (though I am only writing 15 minutes after) and I didn't feel pain or discomfort in that area before either. I drank a little water to see if that would give me a shock of pain and it didn't. Is it a dry socket? Do I need to go to the dentist to get it filled? Is it normal? If I don't go there will it eventually close on it's own? Thank you so much!!!!

hi johnathan. i just recently got my wisdom teeth out and am having the same problem as well. did you ever end up going to see the doctor? if so what did they say. my mom doesn’t think i need to see them but i’m concerned about the hole gettinf bigger

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  • The white stuff is the top layer of skin sloughing off. Think of it as a wet scab. Perfectly OK and requires no intervention.
  • Dry sockets will occur 3-4 days post-op and will be one of the worst pains in your life. So, you're well past that date. No need to worry.
  • The hole will gradually fill in with new bone over the next few MONTHS. It won't matter if a bit of food gets occasionally jammed in the healing wound - it will work its way out without your intervention.
  • Sounds like all is going well! :)

Vote:

Ask a Question