Wisdom teeth extraction progress?

Hello, I got all wisdom teeth taken out on Monday (around 6 days ago) and I do not believe the stitches, which have dissolved, actually closed anything. I am worried the hole may still be open, I have attached a picture with the spot in question, which I'd the bottom left. Please let me know if its going in the right direction or if you need clearer images, it may be blurry

Attachments

• 20220416_233657.jpg
    20220416_233657.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 14
For a simple wound, stitches bring the edges closer together for faster healing (by primary intention) and also to help control bleeding. For extractions, resorbable stitches are nearly always used (plain catgut or chromic catgut). I can't tell from that photo much about the wound, but as long as you are controlling the apin or tenderness OK, and have little or none facial swelling, then any loose flaps will still heal across a gap (secondary intention) in the right circumstances. I wouldn't be worried.
Thank you, it is day 7 and it turns out that inflamed tissue was inner cheek tissue. The swelling has gone down and the sockets are completely closed

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
For a simple wound, stitches bring the edges closer together for faster healing (by primary intention) and also to help control bleeding. For extractions, resorbable stitches are nearly always used (plain catgut or chromic catgut). I can't tell from that photo much about the wound, but as long as you are controlling the apin or tenderness OK, and have little or none facial swelling, then any loose flaps will still heal across a gap (secondary intention) in the right circumstances. I wouldn't be worried.

Vote:

Ask a Question