Wisdom Teeth Extraction Complication

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions I have about a post wisdom teeth extraction complication. I got all 4 wisdom teeth removed on 01/03. Two of them were impacted. Everything seemed to go well and the swelling went completely down. About a month after the removal, I felt a lump on the bottom left side of my jaw. I called my surgeon to ask if this was a problem, and they told me I was fine. Two months later (three months after surgery), the lump was still there and it felt like it was getting bigger. My face was slightly swollen and tender to touch. I called my surgeon again and they prescribed me with Pinicillin to help the swelling. They were going to have me come in for an appointment, but I was unable to because I'm at school which is four hours away from home. About two weeks ago I felt something sharp coming out the hole. I was able to get it out and it was a bone/tooth looking sharp fragment. I called again and they said I would be okay. Yesterday, I woke up and my face was much more swollen and I was in a lot of pain. I called and they finally referred me to someone to get it looked at. I just got back from that surgeon, and I had an abscess caused by many bone fragments left in the hole. They just numbed me, cut the hole back open, and got out a pretty good amount of bone.

I'm really just wondering if this was my original surgeons fault, or if it is something that just happens. My original surgeon refused to pay for it since I wasn't able to drive four hours back home. What caused so many bone fragments to get stuck?

Ask a Question