Will the removal of a wisdom tooth cause other teeth to shift backwards?

Hello, I'm 22 and I'm currently having trouble with my wisdom tooth that is growing at an angle on my lower right.

I woke up yesterday and the gum around that wisdom tooth was all swollen and I know the tooth is slightly impacted so I thought it might be infected so I called my new dentist.

I made an appointment for today and the swelling had gone down a bit..the dentist suggested that I should have my top right wisdom tooth removed and it is biting down into the bottom gum where the impacted wisdom tooth is coming through.

Now I'm not too sure how I feel about this because I'm absolutely terrified of my top teeth moving as they are currently quite straight and I have had braces so I would like to know if I choose to have my top wisdom tooth removed will this cause other teeth to shift back at all?

- thanks.

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
No, removal of wisdom teeth does not affect the movement of your other teeth. If in doubt, have the dentist make you a retainer so your teeth don't move over the years. Teeth naturally crowd forward in most people as they get older and this has nothing to do with wisdom teeth.

Vote:

Ask a Question