Will my tooth kill me?

Discussion in 'Endodontics' started by Myrene, Jun 8, 2019.

  1. Myrene

    Myrene

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2019
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm kind of freaking out here. A few weeks ago, I had strep throat, with pain in my jaw, face, and ear. I also had a swollen lymph node on one side of my neck. I took amoxicillin for 10 days and the strep throat went away but the ear and jaw pain didn't go away. So I saw my dentist and it turns out that a tooth that had a root canal a long time ago had recently developed an infection at one of the root tips. I made an appointment with an endodontist to retreat the tooth, but the soonest available appointment was 18 days away. That was 8 days ago (May 30). I'm not in a lot of pain because the tooth has no nerve, but I'm worried that the infection will spread. The dentist prescribed some more amoxicillin for me, which i just started taking yesterday. Everything I read online says that this type of thing is an emergency and should be treated right away or the infection could spread and cause sepsis.

    Am I being a hypochondriac? Should I wait until the 18 to get the tooth treated or just find someone to pull it out right away? I wasn't able to find any other endodontists to treat the tooth before the 18th. I'm really tempted to grab a pair of pliers and pull it out myself.
     
    Myrene, Jun 8, 2019
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Myrene

    Busybee

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2017
    Messages:
    781
    Likes Received:
    136
    If you are on antibiotics you should be ok. A dental infection doesn't tend to spread very fast in normal circumstances. If you develop swelling, a high or low temperature, a rash or palpitations then call a medical professional. But it's highly unlikely. If you go to an oral surgeon you'd likely have to wait too.
     
    Busybee, Jun 8, 2019
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Myrene

    Myrene

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2019
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you so much for your reply. I'll stop freaking out about it now :)
     
    Myrene, Jun 8, 2019
    #3
  4. Myrene

    MattKW Verified Dentist

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2018
    Messages:
    933
    Likes Received:
    253
    If the infection worsens to the point of increasing swelling or fever, then find a hospital with emergency dental facilities, such as an oral surgeon. An alternative is to add another antibiotic such as metronidazole, but it doesn't always work and may cause loss of time. I saw a patient earlier this year whose facial swelling increased dramatically even after an extraction and antibiotics; I called an ambulance to pick him up from home because I was in fear of him fainting when driving. You can't always pick them.
    It can be difficult for dentists and endodontists to remove old root fillings in an emergency, so if things worsen, your overall health is paramount and an extraction would be indicated followed by IV antibiotics in a hospital.
     
    MattKW, Jun 9, 2019
    #4
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.