Will gums fuse?

Hi,

I had an extraction a few weeks ago of a molar. A few issues with it but almost all cleared now I believe. Occasionally get a dull throb for a few seconds but not sure if this is just part of the healing process as it's not terrible and quite brief.

What I wanted to know was, will the gum fuse together? I had stitches which effectively closed the extraction site off, they have since dissolved and I now have a small line which isn't sealed from front to back of the extraction site. It's quite neat but the gap is around 1mm. Will this fuse together? It looks as though it's healed for the most part but I'm just concerned small bits of food get into it.

Or will the extraction hole "fill upwards" if that makes sense?

Thanks

Solution
Yes, it takes up to 3 months before the wound will "fill up" and become unnoticeable. If this had been a simple cut on your arm and the edges could be brought together, then there is faster healing. After a tooth extraction, there is a bony hole left behind, underneath the gum. This takes longer to heal. Which is why we don't start planning replacement teeth (if desired) e.g. implant, bridge, denture... for at least 3 months.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Yes, it takes up to 3 months before the wound will "fill up" and become unnoticeable. If this had been a simple cut on your arm and the edges could be brought together, then there is faster healing. After a tooth extraction, there is a bony hole left behind, underneath the gum. This takes longer to heal. Which is why we don't start planning replacement teeth (if desired) e.g. implant, bridge, denture... for at least 3 months.

Vote:
Solution
Thank you much appreciated.

I was worried that the stitches may not have done their job or come out too early. Fingers crossed it's all healing nicely then!

Thank you for your reply.

Vote:
Thankyou again. I'm due to go on a holiday of a lifetime for 3 weeks at the weekend. Bit anxious.

I'm a nervous person anyway but my jaw has felt a little unusual on the right hand side over the past week or so. Achey...but only at times, mainly on an evening. it almost feels tense and as if it's locked or clenched. No real pain, just discomfort. I was concerned this could be another infection or abscess but I'm not getting any swelling or tenderness to touch, sensitive to cold...but thats all.

Do you think this pain could be more muscular related? For over a month now ive not really "bitten" on the right side of my mouth so it hasn't been used "properly". It all just feels right and as though a real massage could help. I do rub it myself, but I don't know what I'm doing. Haha. My "bite" seems off and I don't feel I can relax that side of my mouth properly as t all. When my teeth clench my teeth feel a little misaligned since the extraction.

Be interested to ok now your thoughts as visually there is nothing.

Vote:

Ask a Question