Wierd issue with left-over tooth

Hello,

About a year ago I had my molar removed, but it was difficult to remove at the time so my dentist removed it in parts instead of completely 1 piece. I noticed a month after the procedure that he didn't remove the entire thing...I guess he missed a small part? But it took a while for the swelling etc to go down for me to notice that there it was actually part of my molar remaining. I even got dry socket after the procedure cuz I stupidly forgot that I couldn't use a straw. Went back to him and he packed it.

Anyway I was eating today and realised that remaining part came out. All that's left is a gummy area with small crevice, but no hole or anything, looks like there was never a tooth there to begin with. There's no blood or pain since that actual tooth was removed a year ago. Should I be worried about dry socket? or is that not possible anymore?

Last edited:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Dry socket is when the bony socket after tooth extraction is exposed after the clot is disturbed. The "part(s)" that is coming out may be bits of necrotic bone (bony sequestrum) or the actual root fragment(s). For your peace of mind, you can get followup but as long as there are no swelling, you may continue to monitor it.

Vote:

Ask a Question