Why no dentures?

So I have a question about parodontitis and taking dentures.

I know that the common treatment for parodontitis and deep pockets is to regularly clean them by the dental hygienist and of course brushing, flossing and such yourself. And if that doesnt work then there is flap surgery.

But I wonder why are dentures not recommended? Wouldnt that solve the issue? Why do dentists all are of the opinon that keeping your own teeth is so important?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Taking teeth out can be very traumatic. Once the teeth are taken out, the bone will continue to flatten throughout you lifetime and that makes dentures not fit as accurate or lose retention (loose denture). Your facial profile will change...think of grandma and grandpa. Dentures will never function like teeth. Try to ask people with dentures what struggles they have to go through. Modern times we have the technology and knowledge to save teeth and improve your quality of life.

If you think we dentists just want to milk as much money out of you as possible, I'm sorry. I never force anyone to do any treatment. I always provide options and alternatives. There are numerous law suits in the US against dentist because we didn't fully inform or provide options for deteriorating gums and bone.

If you were to come in to my office just to rip out all your teeth with no justification and put in dentures, I won't do it.

Vote:

Ask a Question