Why do I suddenly have cavities?

I used to get cavities all the time as a kid but I haven't had one in years (I'm 20). I see the dentist every six months. Just saw them in January and they said my teeth looked great. I floss every day and brush my teeth twice a day.

The past couple of weeks I've been unable to chew on my right side because of sensitivity in my teeth. I thought maybe I had chipped a tooth or something. I haven't been able to go see a dentist because I'm away at school and don't drive so I have no way of getting to one. Now today, I was examining my molars and I realized that I have a small brown dot on my second to last bottom right molar. It is right on the edge of a filling on the top of the tooth I have had done in the past. On my last molar on the front of the tooth, I have a large black line that runs around the edges of a previous filling. Also on the last molar there is a tiny black dot on the front of the tooth, but it's not anywhere near a previous filling.

Do these sound like cavities? They look like cavities to me, but why would I suddenly have developed cavities in such a short period of time, as an adult?? It's only been four months since I was at the dentist, and I haven't introduced more sugar into my diet or anything. In fact, for a month and a half of those four months, I cut out candy completely.

I'm going home in two weeks, should I wait until then to see my regular dentist, or make an appointment with a dental student for this week? I'm afraid if I keep waiting it will turn into something more serious.

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Hayley, in most people, cavities take about 2-3 years to develop. It takes many more years to develop into something serious. It is very unlikely you are looking at real cavities and much more likely they are stains forming in pitted areas. If it has been a while since your last cleaning, that could also explain it. If your dentist told you a few months ago you were fine, the chance these are real cavities is close to zero. Wait to see your regular dentist when you get home.

Vote:
It's too short period of time for the cavity to be developed, so you don't have to worry. Just wait for the next visit to the dentist.
Think not only about candies, but also about other changes in a diet, that could cause the stains.

Vote:
I do not think they are cavities. Until you see your dentist you should do oil pulling. It's a technique where you swish oil (coconut oil preferably) in your mouth until it turns white. The reason being it not only helps in making your teeth whiter but also in removing bacteria.

Vote:

Ask a Question