White spot protruding inner cheek

Solutions
Hi all,

I just wanted to check if anyone knows what this is on my gum ... first 2 pics are from about 5/6 weeks ago ... lil small protruding spot on my inner cheek along the bite line, last 2 pics are today ... still has a little white mark but no longer sticking out ... anyone anything similar? Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• gum week 1.jpg
    gum week 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 135
  • gum week 2.jpg
    gum week 2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 124
  • gum 22.jpg
    gum 22.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 141
  • gum11.jpg
    gum11.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 123

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's very hard for me to see clearly. I notice a lot of glare and blurriness. Since you are not experiencing protrusion, I'm going to guess hyperkeratinized (calloused) tissue. You may be constantly rubbing, irritating, and or traumatizing the area and the mouth is making thickened skin to protect itself. Try to minimize irritation in the area because thickened skin there is abnormal. If possible, try to provide more clear images.

Vote:
Solutions
It's very hard for me to see clearly. I notice a lot of glare and blurriness. Since you are not experiencing protrusion, I'm going to guess hyperkeratinized (calloused) tissue. You may be constantly rubbing, irritating, and or traumatizing the area and the mouth is making thickened skin to protect itself. Try to minimize irritation in the area because thickened skin there is abnormal. If possible, try to provide more clear images.

hi, thanks so much for your reply :) it was protruding at the start which was about 6 weeks ago then went flat, it had nearly disappeared but then came back very white looking the day b4 yesterday. its about 2 or 3mm in size, hasnt gotten bigger since the beginning. I was with a dentist nearly 3 weeks ago n he filed a top broken back tooth but it still felt a bit rough n he said if it was not gone in 2 weeks i was to go back n see an oral surgeon, I went back to another dentist yesterday n he had a look, he said it doesnt look suspicious and said it is right on the biteline ... At the corner of my upper n lower back teeth is where the white dot sits and there is a tiny line on both sides of it which sit at the back and side of the lower molar. I have been on antibiotics the passed 10 days but doubt that would have made it come back, I have been rubbing vitamin e oil into it hoping that would help. I also keep touching it with my tongue but dont believe that would irritate it?? Im putting orabase on it too. The dentist said to give it a month, he filed the upper back tooth down more. He said if it doesnt go he would get the oral surgeon to have a look so that has me a bag of nerves now :( this is the pic of it now ....

Attachments

• white spot inner cheek.jpg
    white spot inner cheek.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Do you smoke? Do you consume more than 1 alcohol servings per week? If so, I would get it removed. The image is more clear and I believe it to be a callous (hyperkeratinized tissue) with the etiology as stated above. The body is making abnormal tissue from constant irritation/trauma. Couple that with chemical irritation such as alcohol and tobacco increases your risk for uncontrolled abnormal tissue growth (tumor/cancer). Don't be scared but be aware of your risks. White is good. Red is bad and that could happen if you continue to overwhelm that area. Don't use mouth rinses (most have alchohol) and use the least irritating toothpaste without whitening, baking soda, peroxide, tarter control, any other additives (use the most plain toothpaste).

Vote:
Solutions
Do you smoke? Do you consume more than 1 alcohol servings per week? If so, I would get it removed. The image is more clear and I believe it to be a callous (hyperkeratinized tissue) with the etiology as stated above. The body is making abnormal tissue from constant irritation/trauma. Couple that with chemical irritation such as alcohol and tobacco increases your risk for uncontrolled abnormal tissue growth (tumor/cancer). Don't be scared but be aware of your risks. White is good. Red is bad and that could happen if you continue to overwhelm that area. Don't use mouth rinses (most have alchohol) and use the least irritating toothpaste without whitening, baking soda, peroxide, tarter control, any other additives (use the most plain toothpaste).

Hi, thanks so much for your quick reply :) I dont smoke and Id drink alcohol once a week .. 3 or 4 max glasses. I had a broken upper tooth in my mouth from the end of February up until 3 weeks ago when I went to the first dentist, he filed it down but it still felt a little rough, it was filed down more yesterday. the white mark sits right between the tooth that was broken and my lower back molar. I got corsodyl mouth wash since it has no alcohol and im using warm salt water .. are they ok to continue? I dont know if im still biting on it while eating so afraid of making it worse ....

Last edited:

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hi, thanks so much for your quick reply :) I dont smoke and Id drink alcohol once a week .. 3 or 4 max glasses. I had a broken upper tooth in my mouth from the end of February up until 3 weeks ago when I went to the first dentist, he filed it down but it still felt a little rough, it was filed down more yesterday. the white mark sits right between the tooth that was broken and my lower back molar. I got corsodyl mouth wash since it has no alcohol and im using warm salt water .. are they ok to continue? I dont know if im still biting on it while eating so afraid of making it worse ....

I don't like any mouth rinses unless I prescribe an antibacterial rinse (Peridex 0.12%) if you have severe gum disease. Try not to drink alcohol for a month for resolution because it can irritate it causing higher risk for further damage. Feel your tongue or your finger around the broken spot to locate any sharp or rough spots. The key is to minimize any irritation physical or chemical.

Vote:
Solutions
I don't like any mouth rinses unless I prescribe an antibacterial rinse (Peridex 0.12%) if you have severe gum disease. Try not to drink alcohol for a month for resolution because it can irritate it causing higher risk for further damage. Feel your tongue or your finger around the broken spot to locate any sharp or rough spots. The key is to minimize any irritation physical or chemical.

thanks so much for that :) I wont use the rinse anymore n Ill stay off the drink for another few weeks. I think the dentist managed to file the tooth down ok this time, it was still pretty rough b4 he fixed it for me even after the other dentist filing it 3 weeks ago. I got an awful fright when I seen that on my cheek n then googled ... very bad idea. You have eased my mind a lot n Im very grateful for that!!!

Vote:

Ask a Question