White spot on xray

hello everyone, I have what is probably a pretty stupid question but I’m desperate and in pain. In the x ray attached does anyone know why the tooth has a big white spot on it? I thought originally that it could be due to the angle at which the X-ray was taken, but I’ve had multiple X-rays and every single one comes out with this white spot on it. Dentist never mentioned it and it seems like it’s a non issue but the tooth has been aching on and off for close to a year now and no one seems to have any clue why. Has anyone had a similar X-ray? Thanks

Attachments

• 043668E6-A65D-4DF9-B463-ADECB19C9469.jpeg
    043668E6-A65D-4DF9-B463-ADECB19C9469.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 381

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm not sure if we are looking at the same tooth, but I'm seeing 2 white spots on the LR canine. It could be natural anatomy where the location has denser mineral content or possible bonding fillings or for orthodontics. Make sure it is as smooth as possible to avoid trapping plaque, debris, etc.

I can't explain your pain from the x-ray. I can't see the root tip health of the canine. If you dentist didn't see any dental problems on that area, I'm suspecting you may be grinding/clenching due to stress. Many times you don't realize you are doing that.

Vote:
Thank you so much for responding. I’ve had more than 1 X-ray of the area due to this mystery pain and every time the root is obscured by this white area. So I guess I’m wondering if maybe there is something there that is not visible because of this, or if its just simply a result of the angle at which the X-ray was taken. Just pulling at straws, since it’s really driving me crazy. The grinding suggestion is definitely a consideration. The only reason why I didn’t suspect that originally is because this tooth is out of occlusion and does not make contact with any upper teeth that I know of. Unless it is something I do in my sleep, of which I am not aware.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you are talking about the white area covering the LR canine root, with the angle it is hard to see but I think it may be lingual tori. When a tooth is out of occlusion, that tooth will continue to erupt until it is opposed. Sometimes during unopposed eruption the tooth may feel some discomfort. The other teeth in occlusion during grinding and clenching can present some discomfort as well. Try an Over-the-Counter bite guard and if you notice some improvement, have your dentist fabricate a custom guard.

Vote:

Ask a Question