White Gums & Pain after eating Sugar?

I know it looks like I have Periodontal Disease but my Dentist said nothing about it to me. I am having an aching tooth pain anytime I eat something with Sugar in it or when I lay down flat but the pain goes away after about 30 minutes if I use Hydrogen Peroxide & Salt Water. Could it be that my teeth are worn down to the Dentin & they are Sensitive or could it be my 2 Cavities that I have? My teeth are sensitive to only Sugar & not hot or cold. So I have stopped adding sugar to my coffee & eating as little sugar as possible.

I just noticed that my Gums have turned white around one tooth after I brushed my teeth, flossed & rinsed with mouthwash. What could it be? Inflammation? or something else? Does it look like my gums are receding or that I have periodontal Disease? I have horrible genetics for teeth. Both my Mother & Grandfather had to get all their teeth pulled when they were in their 50's. I brush & flush twice a day & gargle after each meal.

I have an Appointment with my Dentist in early June to get 2 Cavities Fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_3367[1].JPG
    IMG_3367[1].JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3372[1].JPG
    IMG_3372[1].JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3374[1] (1).JPG
    IMG_3374[1] (1).JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3374[1].JPG
    IMG_3374[1].JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 56

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
When your teeth are sensitive to sugar, that indicates you have exposed dentin and or roots (receding gums). You can consider using Sensitive Toothpastes like Sensodyne. The dentist may suggest restoring exposed dentin but there are no absolute treatment for receding gums (I have them and I have sweet sensitivities). Grafting, lasers, gum surgeries won't bring back the recession but they may strengthen the surrounding gums.

It is hard to fully view the white gum area, but I'm suspecting hyperkeratinized (calloused) tissue. That is abnormal tissue in response to trauma and irritation. Try not to brush that area too hard.

Last edited:

Vote:
Thanks for all the good info & advice honestdoc. I have a tooth that is really sensitive to touch but doesn't hurt unless touched or brushed. What does that mean? I will probably have most of my teeth pulled in the next decade because of terrible Genes. I am sick & tired of my teeth & gums hurting all the time. I had to order Max Strength Benzocaine for the Pain. I have been taking 4 Aleves for the Pain & that helps it the best.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Have a good visit and plan with your dentist about your pain and expectations. I favor the least traumatic which is to manage your pain as best as possible (like people with back pain). Extracting your teeth should be the last resort because you will lose a lot of function unless you can afford implants.

Vote:
I have had 2 of my teeth extracted already because they couldn't be saved with root canals & crowns. My Insurance covers 100% on all Cavities & 100% on one crown per year. I am not sure about dental implants. Probably doesn't cover that I would imagine. I don't want to get into taking pain pills all the time. I had an addiction to them & I've been clean for 9 years now. So that's a big no no for me. Thanks for all the good advice.

Vote:

Ask a Question