White bump on ?foliate papillae

Hello :)
20200624_220752.jpg

I noticed a whitish/yellowish little bump on the back right side of my tongue (about 3 weeks ago). I saw my dentist last monday and he said it should go away within a week, and it looks like inflamed papillae. But he said, if it doesn't go away within the week, he would refer me to an oral surgeon for consult/biopsy. There is no pain, and the bump is still there. I'm sick with worry and would appreciate your opinion/advice on this

Thank-you!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Has it changed in size or colour over the last week? I would give it another 7 days and then go back to my dentist if it is still there for a referral to an oral surgeon. It might only be something not serious like a mucocele, which will need a small cut to be made in order to clear it up, but due to the fact that it is almost on the lateral or side surface of the tongue, I would rather play it safe. This area is is considered a danger area. So if it doesn't disappear, no harm in checking it out.

Vote:
Thanks for the reply back doctor! It was very red and inflamed looking for the first week and now it seems to have settled down. The little whiteish bump seems to be the same size. it doesnt look bigger or smaller than when I first noticed it

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It looks normal. The bump appears circular and regular and most likely temporary enlarged minor salivary gland. Dangerous (fast growing) lesions and bumps are usually irregular and ugly looking.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It looks normal. Keep an eye on the pattern of redness. If it stays and gets worse, have it looked at. Otherwise look up migratory glossitis geographic tongue. Tongue patterns move over time.

Vote:
Just a small update : there hasn't been much approvement; it hasn't gotten worse, but I feel burning on the side of the lesion. I plan to follow up with my doctor this week, but any ideas on why there is a burning sensation? It's on one side! (I don't feel the burning when eating or drinking.)

thanks again!

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It might be a good idea to have an oral surgeon have a look at the lesion, since it is strange if it hasn't improved a little bit at least. Rather be safe.

Vote:
Just a small update : there hasn't been much approvement; it hasn't gotten worse, but I feel burning on the side of the lesion. I plan to follow up with my doctor this week, but any ideas on why there is a burning sensation? It's on one side! (I don't feel the burning when eating or drinking.)

thanks again!
Hi - did this get resolved ? Facing something similar ?

Vote:
Hello :)View attachment 3356

I noticed a whitish/yellowish little bump on the back right side of my tongue (about 3 weeks ago). I saw my dentist last monday and he said it should go away within a week, and it looks like inflamed papillae. But he said, if it doesn't go away within the week, he would refer me to an oral surgeon for consult/biopsy. There is no pain, and the bump is still there. I'm sick with worry and would appreciate your opinion/advice on this

Thank-you!
Hello,do you still have this condition?

Vote:

Ask a Question