Which toothbrush to choose?

So recently I stumbled upon the Oral B Pro 2000 and Philips Sonicare Easy Clean and I've been wondering, which one should I choose? Anybody here used one of these?

Last edited by a moderator:
So recently I stumbled upon the Oral B Pro 2000 and Philips Sonicare Easy Clean and I've been wondering, which one should I choose? Anybody here used one of these?

I've used Oral B's toothbrush and it wasn't bad, I did however feel like it wasn't getting between my teeth so I traded it for a Rotadent ProCare brush.

Either one should work fine for you though. You wont really know which one you like better or works best for you until you try it.

Vote:
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm leaning more towards Sonicare, never used a sonic toothbrush before (they're quite pricey, if you want a decent one), but I guess this one's a pretty solid choice to start with.

Vote:
Solutions
You don't have to buy the most expensive model as some have unnecessary features. I tried others but my teeth and gums are healthier with sonicare. You do need to replace them every two or three years. The motor on all electric brushes starts to be less effective after a while.

Vote:
Is it better to use a toothbrush with soft bristles or hard bristles? I prefer the harder kind because I feel like it does a better job of cleaning but always wondered if it's bad for your gums or not.

Vote:
Solutions
The electric brushes don't tend to have hard bristles because even with the softer ones your can over brush your teeth. For manual brushes I go for medium. You don't need to scrub to do a good job and scrubbing can damage enamel.

Vote:
Hello Athethos,

In order to select tootbrush here are the Tips,
1. Any toothbrush you choose should have soft bristles because Hard bristles may cause your gum tissue to pull back from teeth which can expose the tooth root and lead to increased sensitivity to heat, cold or certain foods and drinks.
2. Select a toothbrush head size that can easily fit into your mouth and can brush one to two teeth at a time (the general size is 1" long and ½" wide).
3.Powered toothbrushes don’t clean teeth any better than regular toothbrushes. However, if a powered toothbrush motivates you to clean your teeth more often and for the required length of time, it is worth the investment.
4.Powered toothbrushes are better choices than manual toothbrushes for anyone who needs assistance brushing teeth, including people with arthritis (or any condition that may limit mobility), anyone wearing braces or people with misaligned or uneven teeth surfaces that make a thorough cleaning more challenging.
5.Replace your toothbrush as soon as the bristles begin to look worn or frayed (usually every three months). A worn toothbrush does not do a good job of cleaning your teeth. Remember always to replace your toothbrush after an illness.
If you’re still undecided about which toothbrush to use, consult your dentist for advice.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sonic toothbrushes aren't as good as rotary brushes in a technical sense. However, if it makes you brush your teeth regularly, then there's probably no difference; it's all about thoroughly brushing 2x daily. The Rotadent are great - my wife has used them for 20 years, but unfortunately i have to import from USA. The more expensive electric toothbrushes prob aren't worth the extra cost over standard models.

Vote:
Solutions
Sonic toothbrushes aren't as good as rotary brushes in a technical sense. However, if it makes you brush your teeth regularly, then there's probably no difference; it's all about thoroughly brushing 2x daily. The Rotadent are great - my wife has used them for 20 years, but unfortunately i have to import from USA. The more expensive electric toothbrushes prob aren't worth the extra cost over standard models.
I find sonicare is great for the gums and also for getting to hard to reach areas such as the outside of wisdom teeth, but they don't work as well at getting rid of all plaque between teeth. The rotary are limited because of shape and action. The one I had was great at getting rid of plaque, but not so great on gum margins. Sometimes I think a good brush with a decent old fashioned toothbrush is helpful as a backup.

Vote:

Ask a Question