Which comes first?

This is ridiculous to admit but I haven’t been the the dentist in about 10 years. I know I need some work done though. I’m 35 and I can actually feel my wisdom teeth starting to come in as well. Unfortunately, I’m pretty uncomfortable at the dentist. I would love to be asleep or sedated. I’m also interested in veneers.

My questions:

What do I do first? Do I ask for a consultation with a regular dentist? Do I go to a oral surgeon? Any help would be appreciated.

*I have insurance.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would start with a complete checkup with full mouth x-rays and a pano. Please fill out a thorough health/medical history...I had patients not tell me they are on blood thinners, had heart attacks, diabetes, stroke, etc...I always ask to make sure. Your blood pressure needs to be controlled and provide a complete list of all medications.

Have a solid conversation with your dentist of sedation options...there are risks. After 10 years, hopefully you don't have severe gum and bone disease. If so, you may need deep cleanings, possible gum surgeries, and recalls. I would do the veneers after all the fillings and restorative needs are completed. If you grind and clench, the veneers may have a high risk for failure...consider a custom bite guard. Depending on the amount of work, the costs may exceed your insurance.

Vote:

Ask a Question