When to get Root Canal treatment?

KOJ

Back Story:
A year ago I plucked up the courage to go to the dentist after a few years because I noticed something wrong with my gums. They have me antibiotics for gingivitis and then when back for them to check my gums/teeth. They said everything was OK, but I was still having gum/teeth pain, so went for an emergency appointments a few times they said it was sensitive teeth and mild gingivitis (Use sensodyne & Corsodyl). The morning before my routine appointment something seems to pop behind my front teeth, I tell the dentist, they look and say I have an inflammation of the incisive papillae (Googled the name). The dentist also tells me to stop using Corsodyl because it's staining my teeth. So my gums is still a little sensitive sometimes, but they don't bleed, but I'm not sure what to do until after Christmas the gum started to burn. So I go for an emergency appointment and I get told I have mild gingivitis again, so I get told to use Corsodyl again.

Issue:
One of my front tooth is feeling sensitive to touch (More so near the gum), painful when biting down, dull throbbing pain. The dentist X-rays my tooth a few times and then said it's mostly infected, you probably will need a Root Canal on the tooth. However, the dentist said because it's not causing pain with when drinking hot drinks and I'm not in severe pain, I should wait until the pain gets worse.

So my question is, should I wait until the pain gets worse, go and get a second opinion from a different dentist at the same practice or go to somewhere else.

I just think the Anxiety is getting to me, to wait until I'm in severe pain. I've tried so hard to keep my teeth and gums in good condition, gums haven't bled for months, you try and get over your anxiety and then this happens.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Solutions
If you have a root infection then it's probably best to have it treated as soon as possible. Otherwise they say the infection can spread. Does the tooth have a crown on it? If not then the generally held view is that the tooth is crowned to seal it from any more bacteria. I had root canals done through the back of crowns and sealed with amalgam and they didn't stop being symptomatic until I had those crowns replaced.

Yes you should definitely get a second opinion. People should always get a second opinion if they are worried. It costs little and could save your teeth.

By the way, best for an endodontist to carry out a root treatment.

Vote:

Ask a Question