When a cavity turns into a crown.

Need some opinions please.

I take very good care of my teeth and actually due to past problems (about 10 years ago when I needed a lot of dental work) I go to the dentist every 4 months.

The last time I went, the doctor was talking to her assistant and said - "oh yeh, this is ready to go". I asked what was ready to go and if I needed to come back for a filling and she said no, but probably next time.

So next time arrives and it's gone - but instead of just a filling, I need a crown (this is another battle that I am having since doc wants to give me the crown with the silver showing and I want an all porcelain crown - she said it would be more expensive and may crack but it can be easily seen when I talk and I don't want to look 80 yet).

I was very upset and I asked why we didn't do something 4 months ago. Or even make another appointment in 2 months to see how far it had gone. She said it wasn't ready.

This is not a doctor that does work just for the money. So I don't think that's the reason but I do want to get other doctor's opinion to see if maybe this doc is just not doing her job properly.

Can you please advise?

I'm afraid I can't give any insight on what she means by "it wasn't ready". I don't get it either. I would think a dentist would explain what they mean when they say something vague like that.

There is an in-between for your choice of crowns, though. Ask your dentist about porcelain-bonded crowns. They're not as strong as full metal crowns but they have an outward appearance of a porcelain one. They're essentially metal crowns with porcelain cover. I'd think it would cost more than a full metal one, but at least it has some strength (since your dentist seems concerned about strength of the crown).

Vote:

Ask a Question