What's common or normal when having a crown replaced due to decay between the crown and gum?

I recently changed dentists from the best dentist who is out of network now and so my insurance covers less than half what he charges. My new dentist is really nice and the office is great. However, this is what I encountered when having my old crown removed ready for the next crown.

1. Dr. Could not get the old crown off and had to break it up. Tiny fragments were in the area. My body was lower than normal (almost horizontal), so I was stressed I would swallow them and did swallow a little water, which I usually don't.
2,. He had me sign a Crown release of liability form saying I could swallow the crown, etc, which I have never encountered before.
3. He said he had to fill the tooth to be capped, below the gum, but could probably save the tooth and the new cap would have to extend lower and might irritate the gum, and the gum might need to be lowered.
4. The temporary crown is not just porous, but feels like sandpaper and the side feels real rough
5. After they were done I was told to go into the restroom and wash my lip, since they got cement on it.
6. There were fragments of cement around the area where they worked.
7. His hand seemed to be slightly shaky.
8, The shot hurt more than any shot over 40 years

Does any of this a legitimate reason to lose confidence in my new dentist? Is everything here common. What things are uncommon? I never had anything like this with my last dentist, or the one I had years before for 25 years.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
1. Crowns can be difficult to remove especially if it is all ceramic. The dentist should have used throat barrier to minimize debris going down which can be a choking hazard.
2. Red Flag...no such thing as a release of liability. I would stay away from this dentist.
3. This may be true or the dentist wants to charge you more for "extra" work.
4. The temporary crown needs to be as smooth as possible. I place the finished temp crown with a layer of "clear coat" bonding agent.
5. We try to remove all the cement. Having you go to the bathroom could just be to remove what they couldn't.
6. Again, we try to remove as much cement as possible.
7. Did the dentist seem young and nervous or older with some medical conditions?
8. That is unfortunate.

It could be your new insurance does not pay well and most experienced dentist want to be compensated fairly.

Vote:

Ask a Question