What is this?

I went for a tooth cleaning in early January. I had tartar on the gum line, where my molars are. It was way up there and annoying to remove. It hurt. It was like the assistant was digging severely into my gums.

On January 18, days later, I see this bump where the tartar used to be. I showed the dentist and he said he doesn’t see anything. How could he not? Anyway, I believe the gum was traumatized because of the cleaning.

It is now February 5th, and it hasn’t gone away. It was flattening at one point, not it looks like it did when I first noticed it.

It doesn’t hurt or anything.

Attachments

• DC54B9A6-7E87-4144-A2BF-BD64D08D299D.png
    DC54B9A6-7E87-4144-A2BF-BD64D08D299D.png
    744.7 KB · Views: 78

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

It is difficult to see the bump on the photo provided. I can see however that you have some dark triangles in between your teeth. This can be caused by excessive "tartar" or calculus being in that area for a prolonged period of time. Without proper cleaning, this leads to gum recession as well as interproximal bone loss, leading to these dark triangles. It is important that you go for regular check-ups every 6 months

Vote:
In this new photo, you can see that at one point it was flattening. As though it was healing. But now, like in the first photo I posted, it looks bubbly again.

Attachments

• 1BCCC11B-6608-4BFB-936C-0FDD52D58CD6.png
    1BCCC11B-6608-4BFB-936C-0FDD52D58CD6.png
    719.7 KB · Views: 62

Vote:
I do hope someone out there can help me out. Again, the dark triangle in between the teeth, is the bump I am referring to. Please, zoom in the first photo, and you’ll see what I mean.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I think it is best that you go back to your dentist, so that a full periodontal examination can be done, to rule out gum disease.

Vote:
I think it is best that you go back to your dentist, so that a full periodontal examination can be done, to rule out gum disease.
What is done as part of periodontal examination?
I see some white patches in few of my teeth. Like white deposit at the base of teeth. I didn't go for cleaning last year since I have jaw and neck pain. I can't open the mouth wider for long time. So I didn't go for cleaning. Will these deposits cause any gum issue?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Yes.
Those deposits can lead to gum disease. It is called calculus and needs to be professionally removed. Part of the periodontal examination includes full mouth x-rays to evaluate bone levels around teeth, as well as a periodontal probing, to see if there is any attachment loss of gum tissue surrounding the teeth.

Vote:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlotteve

Latest Threads