What is the best type of dentist to remove a route canal tooth?

Hi all,

I have a route canaled tooth upper 6 that has broken leaving little above the gum perhaps 3mm to 4mm. I think I may be best to get the tooth out as I have two route canal teeth and am not happy with either of them. My concern is getting the tooth out and some or the route or debris being left behind.

1, Would I be best to go to a experienced yet general dentist or would I be better going to an endodontist who's surgery has a camera device that goes in the mouth and bring up the image on screen?

2. What check should be made and how to make sure there is nothing left behind when the tooth has been removed?

3. Will where the routes and so were fill up and heal over, if so how long may that take?

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Charlieboy

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

A general dentist should be able to remove the tooth, but it always important to be careful when extracting a root canal treated tooth, since they can end up being very brittle.
It is also important to take note of other important anatomical structures in the area, such as your maxillary sinus floor.
Any upper molar tooth can have roots that extend into the sinus and then lead to a sinus floor opening.
If there is not a lot of bone between the roots and the sinus floor, it might be best to go to a oral surgeon or a maxillofacial and oral surgeon, to remove the tooth and take care eof any possible complications.
Your dentist should refer you anyway if this is the case.
To make sure that all roots are removed, you are more than welcome to ask the dentist also to show you the tooth afterwards, so that you can see for yourself or insist on a post-op radiograph to confirm.
Unfortunately a lot of the post-op wound care responsibility also rests on the shoulders of the patient.
You have to follow the instructions given to you by the dentist.
If there is also some post-op infection, it is also best to return to the same dentist, since he is familiar with the case and will be able to treat it or refer accordingly.

Vote:
Good day,

A general dentist should be able to remove the tooth, but it always important to be careful when extracting a root canal treated tooth, since they can end up being very brittle.
It is also important to take note of other important anatomical structures in the area, such as your maxillary sinus floor.
Any upper molar tooth can have roots that extend into the sinus and then lead to a sinus floor opening.
If there is not a lot of bone between the roots and the sinus floor, it might be best to go to a oral surgeon or a maxillofacial and oral surgeon, to remove the tooth and take care eof any possible complications.
Your dentist should refer you anyway if this is the case.
To make sure that all roots are removed, you are more than welcome to ask the dentist also to show you the tooth afterwards, so that you can see for yourself or insist on a post-op radiograph to confirm.
Unfortunately a lot of the post-op wound care responsibility also rests on the shoulders of the patient.
You have to follow the instructions given to you by the dentist.
If there is also some post-op infection, it is also best to return to the same dentist, since he is familiar with the case and will be able to treat it or refer accordingly.

Hi Dr M,

Many thanks for your reply and you thoughts which make sence and are useful

Charlieboy

Vote:

Ask a Question