What is one surface posterior ( Surface O) in the tooth filling? Which side of the tooth?

Hi all,
I had fillings on my tooth#19 last week. I had few more fillings along with this on the upper side.
I had some pain and discomfort and I went in for a bite adjustment. The sharp pain while chewing went off. But there is a pressure like feeling on the tooth#19 and pain in the left end jaw starts after the day of the fillings. It keeps on hurting on the left side jaw. I am not sure which tooth causing this issue as I did fillings on the lower and upper left.
I called up my dentist and he said I need to redo the filling in the lower left as it cause the pain on the left lower jaw. And said that it's not bonded properly. They could be reason. But didn't confirm it though. I had white resin filling.
I had the filling on tooth number 19 mentioned as posterior one surface O. Which side of the tooth is that? Please let me know if you have some inputs. Is refilling necessary?
Thank you.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A one-surface O most likely mean on the top biting surface of the tooth (O for occlusal). Bonding can be more questionable than amalgam. Sure, try another composite if you want, but if still continues maybe an amalgam would be better yet. I don't like to start root canal therapy because a composite wasn't working unless I've tried an amalgam. But.... I don't even have X-rays of your teeth or other relevant details that make my opinion here more than educated guesswork.

Vote:
A one-surface O most likely mean on the top biting surface of the tooth (O for occlusal). Bonding can be more questionable than amalgam. Sure, try another composite if you want, but if still continues maybe an amalgam would be better yet. I don't like to start root canal therapy because a composite wasn't working unless I've tried an amalgam. But.... I don't even have X-rays of your teeth or other relevant details that make my opinion here more than educated guesswork.
Thank you so much. Appreciate it.
I will try to get the x-rays from the dentist office. Can we see if it's not bonded in the x-ray?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No. But deeper cavities are more likely to give post-op sensitivity than shallow, so X-ray will give idea of the depth. Also ask dentist if he uses direct bonding (more troublesome) or places a GIC lining (less troublesome) under his fillings.

Vote:
No. But deeper cavities are more likely to give post-op sensitivity than shallow, so X-ray will give idea of the depth. Also ask dentist if he uses direct bonding (more troublesome) or places a GIC lining (less troublesome) under his fillings.
Thank you so much @MattKW.
He didn't use any lining. He would have told me if he did anything like that. He just put on the filling. Also, I am sure that the cavity is not so deep and it's a very small filling.
So, how to identify if the filling is not bonded?
I am just asking these questions just to make sure before I go ahead and drill my mouth more. I don't wanna lose more of my original tooth.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Yes, it's available. You might just have to ask around to find someone who uses it. A perfectly good material but difficult for some dentists to use, and of course it's not tooth-coloured.

Vote:
Yes, it's available. You might just have to ask around to find someone who uses it. A perfectly good material but difficult for some dentists to use, and of course it's not tooth-coloured.
Thank you so much.
I will check it out. Does the amalgam filling has Mercury?

Vote:

Ask a Question