What is on my gums?

To preface this, I will list details in a simple form:

-No pain
-Been there at least 4 years, most likely more.
-No symptoms
-Looks like it may be larger than it was when I discovered it, and it's starting to look slightly hook-shaped

Nothing prompted me to post these other than curiosity, because it's seemed very benign. I was just hoping to get a pretty good idea of what I'm dealing with here.

Thanks!

536719_10201392184941970_501113956_n.jpg
601994_10201392184981971_1421803831_n.jpg
1002584_10201392184901969_747356850_n.jpg

Okay, after a bit of Googling, it seems like this could possibly mandibular torus, or torus mandibularis (not terrific with medical terms.)

There are a couple things that tell me that this shouldn't be what it is, but obviously I wouldn't be here if I had even the slightest idea what it is. It seems 90% of mandibular torus cases are bilateral, whereas mine is only on one side. There are no other growths. It also says this is a condition mostly prevalent in Asian men. I'm a white male, 26 years old.

I read that grinding and clenching are possibly part of the problem if it is mandibular torus. I do clench my teeth quite a bit, nearly subconsciously. I don't even realize I'm doing it, but then at the end of the day I find that my jaw and teeth are sore from how much I've been doing it throughout the day.

Hope this helps. Thanks everybody

Vote:
I'm no expert but it really just looks like irritation. Kind of going off of what you said about clenching your teeth a lot and sore jaw... I get something of the same when i have too much citrus and clench a lot too. I also grind the heck out of my teeth. It can sometimes take two weeks for mine to go away.

If you've had it for 4 yrs., it's definitely worth getting checked out- it can only help you! You could probably benefit in some stress relieving activities as well! :)

Vote:
I would just go to a dentist, fork out the minimum they require just to have a dentist inspect your mouth. They know the best what it is, more than a forum, but we're always willing to try and assist users here!

Vote:

Ask a Question