What could this be

Last weekend my tooth started hurting. This is a tooth that had a root canal and a crown.On a scale of 1 to 10 it was about a seven. I went to the dentist they took x-rays and said he doesn't see anything on the x-rays but it does look like there's a pocket and little swollen and gave me antibiotics and the mouthwash and said it was an infection and told me to see a periodontist. He did something with the scale tool and it was a number seven he said food may have gotten in and infected it. The next day I was eating a hamburger and bit down and the pain shot from a 7 to a 10. That lasted for about a day and then I guess the antibiotics started to kick in and my pain was almost gone. I went to the periodontist a few days later they told me the tooth is probably fractured which cannot be seen on the x-ray And I should have it extracted, they Determine this by tapping on my tooth and it did feel a tiny bit different than the others. No pain really just different but I did jump thinking it would feel like it did that day when it was her that's worst. I think I scared her lol
As of now a week later my pain is out about a one.
My dilemma is I am going away in 2 weeks on a cruise which will be eating good for 7 days and I don't know what to do. Should I have the tooth pulled before I go away which would give me about a week and 3 days to heal. is 3 days enough time? Would I be able to eat normal? or should I leave it and get it taken care of when I come back and just bring some antibiotics with me in case it does get infected again?
Is it possible The tooth is not fractured and just was infected due to the deep pocket? I really don't want to pull a good tooth if I don't need to since my insurance does not cover a replacement. It is the third tooth on the top left of my mouth in the back. So not the wisdom not the one next to it but the next one.
Just also mentioning there is no dentist on a cruise ship and I cannot deal with that pain when I would be away if it does come back. What do you think I should do?

We'll need to see some Xrays in order to comment.
I don't have my x-rays. But when he show them to me one side of the tooth was more black than the other he said because it was swollen that's why the other side isn't as black also he said the black is a pocket of gum loss.

Vote:
I don't have my x-rays. But when he show them to me one side of the tooth was more black than the other he said because it was swollen that's why the other side isn't as black also he said the black is a pocket of gum loss.

Vote:

Vote:

Attachments

• 20230530_161145.jpg
    20230530_161145.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 12

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thanks. Unfortunately not the best pic, looks like it's a photo taken of the Xray displayed on the computer screen. Also, can only see 2 roots out of 3 (probably superimposed).
But:
  1. Yellow arrows show that the Palatal canal isn't root-filled to the tip/apex.
  2. Orange arrows show that the (big!) post correlates to the depth of the perio pocket. This suggests either a root perforation from the post, or a fracture.
Either way, the prognosis for this tooth is hopeless. I'd suggest you get it extracted ASAP. Sorry...

Attachments

• 20230530_161145.jpg
    20230530_161145.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 9

Vote:
Thanks for the info. And you are right I did take a picture of his computer screen. I am leaving on vacation next week for a cruise And there is no dentist on the cruise. My dentist told me let there may be a chance for certain things if he pulls the tooth since it's a big tooth. As of right now like I said I am in no pain and I'm trying to chew on just one side of my mouth not to disturb it. I am going to leave it until I come back because I don't want complications from an open wound or chance of dry socket or stitches opening. I understand that may have the same complications with a fractured tooth breaking but looks like either way I'm screwed. Since I'm leaving the tooth in till I get back to take care of Do you have any suggestions other than not eating on that side. My doctor gave me antibiotics in case it does get infected again to take. Other than that any suggestions?
Thanks
Thanks. Unfortunately not the best pic, looks like it's a photo taken of the Xray displayed on the computer screen. Also, can only see 2 roots out of 3 (probably superimposed).
But:
  1. Yellow arrows show that the Palatal canal isn't root-filled to the tip/apex.
  2. Orange arrows show that the (big!) post correlates to the depth of the perio pocket. This suggests either a root perforation from the post, or a fracture.
Either way, the prognosis for this tooth is hopeless. I'd suggest you get it extracted ASAP. Sorry...

Vote:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amanseo

Latest Threads