What could this be?

Good afternoon,

Whilst performing an oral check I noticed this just by my back molar on my right side.

I am a 28m, used to smoke but quit many years ago. Drink occasionally but other than that uneventful.

I am missing three back molars in total due to teeth issues as a child, and lack of money to replace them. I had a check up in January 2022 and was referred to a dental surgeon due to a tongue lesion that turned out to be caused by amalgam.

The dentist did a thorough check up but did not raise any issues. I couldn't tell you how long it has been there but I think it has been there for a good few months, if not during the initial checkup in January.

I only noticed it due to me properly wrenching on my cheek. It feels smooth to the though and with my tongue.

The molars at the back of my mouth are quite rough? Both back molars are cracked and a few months ago they did cause some irritation on the inside of my cheeks, I have a check up scheduled for this Wednesday and I am going to ask them to file them down.

The redness on the right side (first picture) is caused by my poking, prodding and scratching.

I am quite worried about it as you do fear the worst. I have tried rubbing it off but it does not wish to go. I found similar white marks in both sides but just wish to get an idea of what it could be?

Last edited:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
First photo looks like a simple apthous ulcer (canker sores in USA); can't see what concerns you in pic 2. No treatment is necessary and they will heal naturally in 10-15 days. They will recur occasionally, especially in younger people, but decrease in frequency over 30yo. They are thought to be a T-cell mediated reaction to minor trauma. Now that you have a photo, you also have a time stamp that will allow you to see how it goes, and to show your dentist.

Vote:
Hey thanks for the reply. I am prone to mouth ulcers and have been since I was a child.

This is the first time I have seen it and the dentist never mentioned anything during the last check-up so it may just be the remnants of an ulcer.

I do have a feeling that I have felt it there for quite a while though and think I have felt it for quite some time, so that is making me anxious but it doesn't to seem to have done anything and checking this morning it doesn't look as white.

I'll mention it to the dentist and get her to have a look.

Vote:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amanseo

Latest Threads